Vegas

Matt Pohl

Aztec God
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2003
From Facebook:
Ken Locati
9 hrs · San Diego
Not to pile on with more Bowl posts, but hopefully everyone is supporting the Aztecs in their bowl bid to some degree. The more you support the program when it comes to bowl games the more likely we are to: a) have funds to support football down the road, and b) show various bowl committees we can support the team. Therefore, I'd encourage those who still need to buy their tickets go thru SDSU (even though it's more expensive) or to buy a ticket for a band member, etc. if you can't make it. You'd be surprised how far a $82 donation can go! For those of us who ARE going, they are putting together a terrific tailgate starting at 9:00 AM which will feature a full breakfast buffet along with a fully hosted bar all for $40 each. A great way to gather with fellow Aztec fans! Stuff yourself on eggs, bacon, etc. & rinse it down with Bloody Mary's & Mimosa's if that's your thing.

I'm so jealous of all those that are able to go to the game, unfortunately I have to work that day with no way to get out of it. I'll be there in spirit though...Go Aztecs!

Reactions: jadam32
I'll be going back and bought tickets through the school as well as staying at the team hotel. Was surprised to find out you can get tickets for a fraction of the cost online through stub hub and room rates were cheaper as well online... why is that, perhaps that's why people aren't attending in the numbers like they do at other schools?

Sounds like the scalpers over-estimated the demand?

I bought tickets through the school and will be staying at the Cosmopolitan.

I'll be going back and bought tickets through the school as well as staying at the team hotel. Was surprised to find out you can get tickets for a fraction of the cost online through stub hub and room rates were cheaper as well online... why is that, perhaps that's why people aren't attending in the numbers like they do at other schools?
based on the chatter on the conference board sounds like this is the norm...Bowl rips off the schools with minimum allotments, then turns around and sells tickets cheap in bulk to scalpers/secondary market, which then undercuts the school's sales. Brilliant for bowls guaranteeing a minimum number of sells. But it breeds discontent in an era where it's easier all the time to watch games where and when ever you please. Boise's Cactus bowl tix sound even worse...

CFB and it's post season needs a total revamp...the everything always for profit model needs to benefit the schools and athletes that provide the entertainment or needs to GTF out of the way so something more rational can replace it...otherwise this thing is going into a ditch in super slo-mo while we all watch.

That is the case for all bowl games, except the fact is schools with loyal fans that travel sell the hell out of tixs no matter what. BYU vs Utah was sold out in matter of hours last year. BYU in ANY bowl game doesn't blink in thinking they can sell 12K tickets. And that's just BYU and there are ton of schools that travel better than BYU. Wasn't that long ago that an 8 win SDSU football team was repeatedly left out of bowl games that had not commitments because they wanted teams that traveled. VISITORS are the MAIN goal of bowl games.

Ultimately, its a vicious cycle. If we start traveling, it guarantees that Vegas Bowl won't pass over SDSU like last year hereby springboarding SDSU to more lucrative bowls which impacts operating $$, coaches salaries, facilities, recruiting, prominencee, etc. Flake out and future 10 win SDSU teams will never do better than Idaho/expensive Hawaii or low $ Poinsettia.

ADVERTISEMENT