ADVERTISEMENT

Steve's wild recruiting guess

1. Is Cameron Thomas a DE or OLB?
2. Do we take another DE? (Already have Banks, Oliver and possibly Thomas)
3. Any possible OL commits soon?
4. Do we really need a QB?

1. Is Cameron Thomas a DE or OLB?
2. Do we take another DE? (Already have Banks, Oliver and possibly Thomas)
3. Any possible OL commits soon?
4. Do we really need a QB?

THomas is a DE and a couple of those guys think they maybe TIght Ends so another big guy will not hurt. I am not sure they will take another ot.

Steve we're going to have room for a full class. I predict we sign 20-25. Here's my best shot at the breakdown...

http://aztecsfight.com/Thread-2017-Roster-Eligibility

James, on your roster eligibility my numbers are a little different....

QB - Need to add Laviano, which makes 5 scholarship guys
FB- Virtually certain Lessard is a scholarship guy, as he was noted in the signing day for that year which makes 3 guys on scholarships
WR- Virtually certain Truxton is a scholarship guy as he was a late addition and that makes 8 scholarship WR's
OL- Count is right, but its Jemmott who will greyshirt and Bessent is on campus
DL- Watson left the team and count needs to be reduced to 11
LB- Believe Harper was on scholaship last year and count updated to 14

With all that said, i count 84 currently on scholarship with the new punter McGeehee getting 85 and 18 seniors on scholarship. We have 3 greyshirt's for next year in Jemmott, Robinet and TJ Sullvan. That means we will have 15 or so spots to offer without any further attrition. I think we have room for 3 more, but am sure there will be some attrition along the way to bring that number up to 5 or 6, as guys leave, retire or are grade casualties.

FB- Virtually certain Lessard is a scholarship guy, as he was noted in the signing day for that year which makes 3 guys on scholarships
WR- Virtually certain Truxton is a scholarship guy as he was a late addition and that makes 8 scholarship WR's
LB- Believe Harper was on scholarship last year and count updated to 14

With all that said, i count 84 currently on scholarship with the new punter McGeehee getting 85 and 18 seniors on scholarship. We have 3 greyshirt's for next year in Jemmott, Robinet and TJ Sullvan. That means we will have 15 or so spots to offer without any further attrition. I think we have room for 3 more, but am sure there will be some attrition along the way to bring that number up to 5 or 6, as guys leave, retire or are grade casualties.

That was my unofficial tally as well , also I am thinking Morris would easily get one more year (maybe two) from the NCAA if he wants it. Robinet will come in as a walk on so I would not count him most likely will be toward the 2019 class. Ruben speaks of bringing in a JC safety this year, so I I don't think we have more than four or so to offer if that many.

Last edited:
Sounds like the JC safety and Robinett cancel out, so my guess at the 3 spots left would go out to the following...

1) QB - Oblad or greyshirt QB (believe this guy is a former Pac 12 commit who is at a high profile CA JUCO now)
2) DL - Washington
3) WR- Ahmad or Ross

Sounds like the JC safety and Robinett cancel out, so my guess at the 3 spots left would go out to the following...

1) QB - Oblad or greyshirt QB (believe this guy is a former Pac 12 commit who is at a high profile CA JUCO now)
2) DL - Washington
3) WR- Ahmad or Ross

Agree maybe someone on the team now is shaky but other wise wrap it up. Would make sense to take a greyshirt as QB

LB- Believe Harper was on scholaship last year and count updated to 14

In the fall camp thread Ruben corrected himself and said Bessent was the grayshirt. I'll make the other corrections. I still say they'll sign between 20-25 due to attrition and grayshirts possibly vanishing.

It is interesting to note the glut of young OL.

2) DL - Washington
3) WR- Ahmad or Ross
Matt Struck?

That was my guess... no inside info. If he decides to play for RCC this year, i wouldn't consider him a greyshirt. Would think he is up for grabs next year for any school. Many of these greyshirts or "placements" don't pan out.

That was my guess... no inside info. If he decides to play for RCC this year, i wouldn't consider him a greyshirt. Would think he is up for grabs next year for any school. Many of these greyshirts or "placements" don't pan out.

Had a couple DII offers ,mobile not a rocket arm but accurate nice touch. I suspect it will depend on how he does at RCC.

Don't care for Struck, TBH.

Hoping we land few of these guys before the start of the season
Dumais
Laei
Washington
Olave
Eure
Lawson
Berringer

mketch is right and up to date with his comments. I screwed up the Jemmett/Bessent thing. I was correct the first time but mentioned Florida for some reason, which is wrong.

Reactions: steve-EM
mketch is right and up to date with his comments. I screwed up the Jemmett/Bessent thing. I was correct the first time but mentioned Florida for some reason, which is wrong.
OK, thanks for clearing that up Ruben.and on top of that there are only 11 Juniors on scholarship. It a very young team.

The punter transfer I was hearing rumblings about was a MW school transfer. Not Heicklen. But I'll check.

Hopefully we can have a definite answer by media day.

The punter transfer I was hearing rumblings about was a MW school transfer. Not Heicklen. But I'll check.

Hopefully we can have a definite answer by media day.

There was a reference to a JC punter named
Austin McGehee in a prior post that said he already was on scholarship.

Is it early stages of old age, that I'm imagining these things?

Its entirely possible the new punter isn't McGehee... I saw that McGehee followed our long snapper Tanner Blaine on Twitter and was working out with him a couple weeks back. Coupled with his recent Aztec tweets, and McGehee being followed by half of the staff the dots seemed to connect. That said, I hope it is Heicklen... Would rather have the guy that averages nearly 44 yards a punt than 38.

Reactions: AztecBruce
Its entirely possible the new punter isn't McGehee... I saw that McGehee followed our long snapper Tanner Blaine on Twitter and was working out with him a couple weeks back. Coupled with his recent Aztec tweets, and McGehee being followed by half of the staff the dots seemed to connect. That said, I hope it is Heicklen... Would rather have the guy that averages nearly 44 yards a punt than 38.

Would like to see the net,and 38 yards per punt,that was close to Blaine's average he was deadly inside the twenty.

Imo, punter's accuracy (and consistency at that) is more important than average distance.

Something is wrong with my brain. I read Heicklen and thought of McGehee (sorry k5james). I need more sleep or something because Ive had what, three slip ups on here in three weeks?

Anyway, yes there is some truth on Heicklen. I have heard he was looking to play closer to home.

Thanks Ruben... Now just spill the beans on this JC Safety and we are good. :p

JC safety? Sounds good to me.

Any update on how summer workouts are going? Anyone impressing or look really improved?

The JC safety is a kid originally from Alaska with a unique name. That's all i could give you until I confirm it with Rocky in Vegas.

Don't think Justice will be served... You sure he didn't sign with Hawaii recently???

Last edited:
Reactions: RubenMeza
Welp, looks like your right mketch. Justice Augafa was the secret safety who attended LA Harbor. His twitter seems like he's UH bound though. Ill check in the AM.

He announced it today in case anyone is wondering.

Steven Coutts ended up at Cal. This is why SDSU keeps quiet about transfers and late signees. Coutts would have have been a huge pickup.

Based off a recent Scout article, it sounds like we are no longer recruiting Kenyon Oblad. Haven't heard of anymore QB offers of late, so we are either going to pass on a QB next cycle or that grey shirt materializes.

ADVERTISEMENT