ADVERTISEMENT

Passing tournament No. 2 (team list)

RubenMeza

Aztec God
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2012
Today was the first day of a very HOT passing tournament and this weekend's group of schools is very small compared to last last week. The talent level isn't as high and there aren't really any D1 QBs in my opinion. The top school is Arizona Chandler high but I didn't watch them much today because I'm banking on them making it through the knockout rounds tomorrow and even winning the championship. I took a peek at Chandler and definitely liked Gunner Romney and will check him out and others more tomorrow.

Before I go further here is the list of schools. I like putting them here for future reference because it confirms that these teams have been evaluated by the staff beforehand, especially the skill position prospects.

Chandler
Cienega
West Hills
Eastlake

Notre Dame
Mingus
Lincoln

Casteel
Monument Valley
Scripps Ranch
Sahuaro

NW Christian
Point Loma
Morse

Valhalla
Ramona
Cibola
Ramona
Yuma Catholic

Valley Center
Temecula Great Oak (I can see this team making the championship tomorrow)
Mt. Carmel
Frontier
Eisenhower

I started off by watching a lot of the local schools like Morse, Serra, Patrick Henry, San Diego and nobody really caught my eye.

Morse running back Martell Irby wasn't there and WR Tim Patrick was just OK.

At Lincoln, I liked Kenyon Sims (Mission Bay transfer) in the one game I watched but want to watch him more tomorrow (before he gets the Ruben stamp of approval). I'm curious to see if SDSU ends up offering him.

I also actually really like QB/FS Asante Hartzog. I'm not sure if he'll get an SDSU offer but he definitely seems athletic enough to get some lower level offers this summer.

WR/S Charles Hicks (Mission Bay transfer) is another prospect with a great frame on him but I think he's a borderline D1 guy too.

Valley Center (Daniel Brunskill's HS) has a 2019 QB named KJ Mazzetti who has a pretty good frame on him and he throws some very pretty balls with good zip. That said, his throwing motion needs to get quicker and his accuracy seems erratic. He's one worth following but I'm not sure if he'll be a prospect.

Great Oak is led by huge DE/TE Brennan Jackson, who proved again that he's a very good athlete. He made some of the best catches of the day and his ability as a runner reminded me of Demitri Washington's performance last week. He's a Pac-12 guy though.

Star LB Jack Lamb wasn't in attendance but maybe he'll be there tomorrow. Also likely Pac-12.

DB Danny Morales attended SDSU's skills camp earlier this month and he's someone that should be getting on the coaching staff's radar. He's a ground zero kid and you can tell he's definitely coached up because his coverage skills and footwork is advanced. Good speed but he's a bit undersized and could improve his ball skills so maybe that's why he hasn't garnered more offers yet.

I also liked WR/CB Mikel Barkley and they have a 2019 receiver named Grant Gaskins who's pretty solid too. I can see Barkley getting a D1 offer or two as a senior because of his athleticism.

I was surprised to see that Great Oak finished with a 5-6 record last year based off the athletes and size I saw today. For you Temecula folks, I can see them having a huge year this upcoming season.

Another prospect I wanted to see more of was Mt. Carmel linebacker Andrew Mata'Afa because he impressed me last year when I watched TJ Sullivan. I only caught a short glimpse of him but hopefully will check him out tomorrow. (I actually just looked up his film and found out his recruitment has actually taken off this spring.)

I'm really interested in watching Chandler the most though, since SDSU is likely to go after one or two of their guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News