ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 Officiating Concerns

oldazteclb

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Diego
One of the most prevalent/recurring posts we see around this time of year (PAC 12 part of the schedule) has to do with either the poor quality or outright bias of PAC 12 officials vs. MW or G-5 teams in general. Below is something I posted on the MWC board but thought it might be of some interest here: (Note: I am a former college and current High School football official)

Just a little educational piece on officiating for those of you who have never officiated a high-level high school or college football game (I have and still do) You simply do not have the time or the bandwidth to process any sort of prejudice as the game is unfolding before you. I will admit it is possible for a replay booth to inject some bias, but the guys on the field are simply too busy processing what is before them (dark colors vs. light colors) to entertain anything else, including who they might favor. Furthermore, anyone with a built in bias (graduate or family member or a player) is excluded from that particular game anyway. Lastly, these guys really like their jobs and would instantly lose said job if guilty of any of the nonsense internet posters regularly assign to them.

The "refs are cheating us" idea is purely for the entertainment value of the viewer and does nothing more than offer some solace for a loss or poor play from his favorite team that day. Arguments like these are groundless, stupid and illogical. You would know this if you ever donned the stripes in a fast moving competitive game.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News