ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Stats

I don't get the need to denigrate our accomplishments by our fan base. You don't see Boise fan doing it.
And I don't get you guys that think comparing stats vs the MWC means ANYTHING. I didn't put down the Aztecs but the truth is this defense was torched before they started playing MWC teams. They didn't suddenly get that much better, the offenses got suddenly a LOT worse. I think my reactions to the Aztecs are pretty balanced with reality. I don't have flamingo syndrome.

Reactions: unionbank
And I don't get you guys that think comparing stats vs the MWC means ANYTHING. I didn't put down the Aztecs but the truth is this defense was torched before they started playing MWC teams. They didn't suddenly get that much better, the offenses got suddenly a LOT worse. I think my reactions to the Aztecs are pretty balanced with reality. I don't have flamingo syndrome.

Except they weren't torched before they started playing MWC teams. Boise spent years racking up major defensive stats against teams worse than what we currently play in the MWC. You didn't see Boise fan talking about how it didn't mean anything.

I just don't get the attitude that feels we should tear down what what's going with our team.

That same attitude is why our attendance is so bad...

When it comes to SDSU San Diego fans by and large don't want to give credit where it is due. There's always a caveat.

Except they weren't torched before they started playing MWC teams. Boise spent years racking up major defensive stats against teams worse than what we currently play in the MWC. You didn't see Boise fan talking about how it didn't mean anything.

I just don't get the attitude that feels we should tear down what what's going with our team.

When it comes to SDSU San Diego fans by and large don't want to give credit where it is due. There's always a caveat.
No attendance is so bad because SD fans don't want to see UNLV, Hawaii, San Jose St and Fresno St. Nobody cares if they beat B teams. They are surrounded by USC, UCLA, Arizona playing teams like Texas, Baylor, Penn St, Nebraska, Ohio St. and Michigan. They don't want to watch SDSU beat up on New Mexico, they expect it. The fun in watching sports isn't that you're guaranteed a win, it's seeing if your team can win. A great man said we don't go to the moon because it's easy, we go because it's hard.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Steve.

I see nothing wrong with Jeff's comment. We do have a "good" defense, and yes the MWC conference fields some pretty bad offenses. How is that denigrating? I would be more worried if our defense wasn't ranked so high given the level of competition in the MWC.

No attendance is so bad because SD fans don't want to see UNLV, Hawaii, San Jose St and Fresno St. Nobody cares if they beat B teams. They are surrounded by USC, UCLA, Arizona playing teams like Texas, Baylor, Penn St, Nebraska, Ohio St. and Michigan. They don't want to watch SDSU beat up on New Mexico, they expect it. The fun in watching sports isn't that you're guaranteed a win, it's seeing if your team can win. A great man said we don't go to the moon because it's easy, we go because it's hard.

Nailed it. Drops the mic and walks offstage...

When it comes to SDSU San Diego fans by and large don't want to give credit where it is due.

"I don't get the need to denigrate our accomplishments by our fan base. You don't see Boise fan doing it."

Pot meet kettle...

There's some serious problems with critical thinking here. First of all anyone can say we don't face good offenses without defining what is a good offense or defense. When I look around at the G5 world which is the one we live in ,I don't see any offense that would overwhelm our defense. I mean this is like someone arguing Alabama is crap compared to the NFL they don't face any team with the talent of the NFL, their crap. Of course anyone would know immediately that's a silly argument.

Go around and take a look at the facilities that are available to any P5 team there all infinitely better than San Diego State. San Diego State is was and always will be a commuter school that has a large percentage of its student body from community colleges. This is not a university with thousands of affluent alumni or an old land-grant college that hs been around for hundred and fifty years.

We play in the Mountain West because we do not have those alumni, we do not have those facilities, and quite frankly in most cases we don't have the academics of the P5 universities. We play who we play, that's the only way a team can be measured. If you want to compare us to the better teams in the country with $30 million budgets then you might as well compare Helix High school to Boise State.

So we not only run down the football program but let's run down the fans as well? I don't need people to tell me what the fans will come to and what they won't because nobody wants to come to see a team lose just because they are losing to UCLA or Nebraska. We are averaging about 35,000 fans per home game and that's among the top five G5 teams. Back when San Diego State was playing Texas Southern et all and such we had explosive offenses, won a lot, and averaged 45,000 fans. We averaged 45,000 fans during the Marshall Faulk era as well.

Now however every home game is on television and attendance particularly among the G5 teams is down. Now DJ is absolutely nothing compared to Gale Sayers, or Walter Payton, he is not an NFL Hall of Famer, so he must just be another bum, against a good defense he would average 2 yards a game. That's the kind of BS I'm hearing.

You guys shouldn't follow San Diego State is never going to be USC,go root for Alabama or Ohio State. We beat Boise State two the last three years we played them and were 20 points ahead in 4 degree weather at Boise with a walk quarterback who had a third-degree separation of the shoulder. Then we lost.

Ragging on the football team and the fans it doesn't make sense to me. It's completely unrealistic given the circumstances that I've already outlined. AN example,You know my youngest son's college Washington and Lee (a top small liberal arts college founded in 1749) has an endowment of $1 billion. It's number one in Fortune 500 CEOs has producedI don't about 70 or 80 senators and congressmen and Governors.

When they have a fundraising they raise $100 million easier than San Diego State can raise 5 million. They play small college football because they found major college football to be corrupting. They could afford it though. They are tiny fiscally compared to Sanford, USC, UCLA, Washington etc. and so on. So be realistic.

I was at ASU when they were in the WAC,it was dangerous then Geromimo was still on the loose.(yuk yuk)
Since joining the Pac 10/12 ASU and the University of Arizona how many Rose Bowls have they been in,? I think ASU two and Arizona zero. With all their resources which are much greater than ours and the same could be said of Washington State and Oregon State and Cal they really can't compete in their own conference for a championship.
Even Escoffier couldn't turn hamburger into filet mignon.

Get real.

Last edited:
Hopeless...if one disagrees or agrees with a side (on almost anything) it automatically means that you hate the team and/or its fans. Some of you people on here love to make a mountain out of a molehill. If you love the MWC then more power to you. If you're content with staying in the MWC then more power to you. If you feel we're just stuck in the MWC because we're so tiny and pathetic with no hopes of ever moving up because life just isn't fair then more power to you. Reality is what you make it, if you think small then you'll live small, think big and put in the work then good things can and will happen. Don't give me this crap that SDSU isn't worthy of joining a P5 conference, what a bunch of bull. Our academics are just as good (if not better) than a lot of schools in the P5. SDSU is one of the most applied-to schools in the country, they can be as selective as they want to be, they aren't bringing in a bunch of GED'ers and just-barely-made-it high school graduates. If we were in the Pac 12 you don't think we wouldn't get Pac 12 talent and funds? That's the whole reason why we're not in the Pac 12 today. It disrupts a good thing that USC and UCLA has here in southern California. It has NOTHING to do with our current endowments or academics and everything to do with fear of a new powerhouse encroaching on traditional UCLA and USC territory.

That's the irony, one side accuses the other of talking down the team, the school and its fanbase then in the same breath talks down the school as being small time and that we have to just accept the fact that we'll never have the ability nor the realistic expectation of ever being good enough to join a P5 conference. Geography hinders that chance much more than anything else stated above, that would've made for a more reasonable argument. SDSU is more than adequate to take the next step up, with that next step comes newer and bigger opportunities to further improve athletic budgets. Just being in the Pac 12 would've netted us almost 30 million dollars alone instead we might or might not get any chump change from the MWC. Even the lowly Pac 12 teams stated above got in one year what would take SDSU almost 30 years in the MWC to get. I love this school and its athletic programs, I'd also love to see the school continue to move up even further both in academics and in athletics. I don't rag on this team nor its fans, but I will rag on those who have such low expectations of this team and the school.

South Alabama overwhelmed our defense. I agree in that our defense is good compared to our conference but if we were playing in the Big 10, Big 12, or SEC would we be a top 10 defense. I seriously doubt it. It is up to the coaching staff to up our level of play through recruiting and "coaching up".

Reactions: jeffinsd
As Charles has indicated, SDSU is a great school, with excellent applied academics and outstanding athletics despite its terrible MWC situation. Our present issue as it pertains to our athletic programs is our geographical location. We are in essence stranded in "no mans land" being in the most southwest corner of the US. That fact became crystal clear when the Big 12 didn't even give us a sniff! Why? Location, location, location. Unless there is a union of non P5 schools of the highest order like the AAC or Big East in basketball or some other conglomeration of football schools, we are effectively screwed from reaching the levels of many other state P5 schools! Unless the Pac 12 expands, we are destined to perform in the mediocre MWC. At the same time that doesn't mean our athletics or academics aren't excellent...it just means we have to outperform richer and better placed institutions!!! I love being an Aztec supporter and love living in San Diego and wouldn't change any of that for living in places like Lincoln, Nebraska or Pullman, Washington! Simply put, Go Aztecs and enjoy the things we can such as a DJ Pumphrey leading the nation in rushing, or the basketball team's high expectations this year in a raucous Viejas Arena setting.

South Alabama did not overwhelm our defense, penalty's, bad snap,fumble caused most of the damage. Roughed the punter then get a facemask after a stop,then snap the ball over the punters head. USA had 331 total yards, if that is overwhelming you must expect 100 yards total defense per game. We had three turnovers they had zip, special teams and offense caused that loss.
San Diego State is ranked around 146th and national universities about the same as Arizona State, Washington state, and Oregon State. It's a good school academically but it's extremely limited because the University of California doesn't allow it to have PhD programs
. Nor did I say that San Diego State is smalltime in football because that would be FCS. It is what has been described as a mid-major. There is no way San Diego State is going to get in the Pac 12 they had made that abundantly clear, over and over again. If they add two schools to would likely be Texas and Oklahoma.
The gap between the G5 and the power five has been discussed ad nausea in the media it's huge. Not only that but there's a gap between the top 10 or so programs and the rest of the P5.

Nonsense about it's up to the coaches to recruit and coach them up. When you're allowing only 280 yards a game anyone who says that is in la la land. That is a kind of thing I expect from someone who has never been around a football program. That's one hell of a Defensive performance no matter what. So you talk like Oh yeah we should be getting all these guys that are going to USC and UCLA( where they get fed three team meals a day have better living quarters than the Hilton), have long traditions etc.
We should also have access to these hundreds of millions of dollars, as you guys know how to get it,I guess ? If I do not agree I am just thinking small Time. Silliest nonsense I've ever heard:confused: Show me the money.

Last edited:
South Alabama overwhelmed our defense. I agree in that our defense is good compared to our conference but if we were playing in the Big 10, Big 12, or SEC would we be a top 10 defense. I seriously doubt it. It is up to the coaching staff to up our level of play through recruiting and "coaching up".
I don't agree with this. Without the TO's USA doesn't break 30 points. IIRC USA averaged like 2 yards per rush and passed for about 240 total yards. We held them around 330 yards of total offense. The USA game is what happens when you're in a tight game and your team blows it with TOS creating a score differential that exerggates how bad the loss actually was...

I shake my head every time I read people say SDSU will never at admitted to the Pac-12. One, it's a highly defeatist attitude which particularly defies logic since it's so often said by fans who otherwise defend the university. Two, those who pay close attention to conference expansion know that if SDSU can continue the rate of academic growth it has had for the last 20 years and the athletic growth it has had for the last seven years (that includes getting a stadium built), if in about 2025 the Pac is forced to go to 16 members as is quite possible, we will be one of the top candidates. Anyone who disagrees is requested to please name the four schools which would be clearly superior in the eyes of the Pac.

Reactions: Dave1737
One thing some of you guys are over looking is we have to play the games that are on our schedule. We tried to change conferences but that didn't work out. Our preseason games is now better. It takes a long time to set our schedule. So with that said, we are doing very well with who we have to play. Ten years ago if we scheduled all p5 teams for our preseason, we probably wouldn't have a program now

One thing some of you guys are over looking is we have to play the games that are on our schedule. We tried to change conferences but that didn't work out. Our preseason games is now better. It takes a long time to set our schedule. So with that said, we are doing very well with who we have to play. Ten years ago if we scheduled all p5 teams for our preseason, we probably wouldn't have a program now

I've now changed my mind a bit about scheduling. The B12 has become a total farce and even if its most valuable members don't leave, that conference is never going to look west so our only chance to join that conference is if UT, OU, OSU and KU all bolt and the leftovers decide to go balls to the wall to create a BOR.

As I've said, our best chance to join a power conference is therefore the Pac-12 and beating schools from that conference in football as often as we've beaten them in basketball would enhance our desirability to them considerably.

Reactions: krishnan1241
I shake my head every time I read people say SDSU will never at admitted to the Pac-12. One, it's a highly defeatist attitude which particularly defies logic since it's so often said by fans who otherwise defend the university. Two, those who pay close attention to conference expansion know that if SDSU can continue the rate of academic growth it has had for the last 20 years and the athletic growth it has had for the last seven years (that includes getting a stadium built), if in about 2025 the Pac is forced to go to 16 members as is quite possible, we will be one of the top candidates. Anyone who disagrees is requested to please name the four schools which would be clearly superior in the eyes of the Pac.

Many of the young men and women that I worked with years ago in the UC system, are well placed in the UC system now and quite knowledgeable of the politics. Since some of them I mentored I keep in contact with them and of course I'm always the Aztec Honk.
So this discussion has come up many times, with people that are knowledgeable about the political climate. The University of California system is adamantly opposed to sharing any kind of power or resources in most cases with the CSU system.Every Christmas eve I go up ot Orange county and see these guys and gals at a party. Last year we were watching the Hawaii bowl when the topic came up.

The whole fiasco with the athletic department audit which as you know I was involved in, only aggravated that prejudice. I told quite frankly that they want Texas and Oklahoma and have no interest whatsoever in any Mountain West school nor BYU. Also with the intense level of political correctness there's little doubt in my mind that if San Diego State were ever even considered a possibility they would demand the Aztec name be dropped. If you guys don't know how bad the PC situation is now in universities with that sort of thing, your not doing much reading.

As one administrator joked with me when one of the State College schools joins the Pac 12 it will be the day they drop the puck in Adolf Hitler Outdoor Hockey Arena in downtown Hell.The Arizona schools are even more adamant their lifeblood is Southern California and adding San Diego State would make them even less competitive.
However I do think and so do a lot of other people in the know that Texas and Oklahoma will jump ship, and the best of the rest will be formed somewhere.

Texas and Oklahoma aren't going to join the Pac-12. The Pac will never agree to allow UT to retain the LHN so UT will either remain in the B12 for all sports, emulate ND by going indy for football and stay in the B12 for Olys (which I think is most likely) or go to the SEC. OU MIGHT go to the Pac but only if the Pac also takes Okie State, whose academics are ranked by USNWR as identical to SDSU's. More likely is OU will either go to the B1G along with Kansas or to the SEC along with Okie State.

The Pac-12 Network has been a dismal failure compared to the BTN so the Pac offers nothing in terms of financial improvement for a B12 school to move there. In contrast, OU could not only improve itself financially by joining the B1G, by so doing it would become a member of the most prestigious athletics conference outside of the Ivy League. And as an AAU member, OU qualifies. So does Kansas. You mean well, Steve, but my point is those folks you've spoken with are clueless about the Pac's options.

Larry Scott has said the Pac is very pleased with its current compliment of members and I'm sure that's true. However, just like the B12 is under pressure to add at least two more schools, once the SEC, the ACC and the B1G go to 16 as they inevitably will, there will be tremendous pressure for the Pac to follow suit. And if I'm correct about where the cream of the B12 crop go, just which 4 schools do your UC buddies think their conference would add instead of SDSU?

And if I'm correct about where the cream of the B12 crop go, just which 4 schools do your UC buddies think their conference would add instead of SDSU?
iN that case we end up there

The PAC has to be concerned that San Diego is flanked by PAC schools, but that they(PAC) seem to be doing less and less well in this market recently(their last CCG was rated unbelievably low in SD considering it involved 2 Cali schools). Not sure if that is temporary or part of something larger...IMO the PAC network is hurting the PAC in a similar way, to how CBSSN hurts the MW...availability is not widespread and those with cable likely have to pay into a 3rd or 4th tier of their cable sub, while trends is toward cancelling cable subs. Can someone subscribe to the PAC network with just an internet connection but no cable?

Last edited:
This thread started with some great SDSU season stats and has turned into the oft heard analysis if our P5 chances vis a vis the Big 12 and PAC 12. I attended my first Aztec game as a freshman in 1959 and this debate has been raging in one form or another since. The one constant has been the UC systems adamant "No Way" position as espoused by Steve.

Like everyone else I hoped and dreamt up scenarios whereby we end up where are natural rivalries are--The Pac 12. I still have those hopes and dreams. Meanwhile, as I post, our chances as of today--not tomorrow, hence my dreams--have not changed.

So, what to do about it? Well. We are in the middle of one of those special seasons one doesn't get a chance to watch very often. It's called watch Donnell run. This is special, believe me, so sit back and watch and enjoy while you can. Thats what I'm going to do.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Steve.
From someone who is not from SD but is from a big city where they do support the home teams, SD fans are pretty horrible for the most part. Too many transplants and the natives by in large are so jaded by never winning "the big one" that they just are overall bad fans. Just my opinion. I mean when a fan can't get excited about their team beating the crap out of someone that in itself lies the problem. When folks are saying nobody cares about you beating a "B" team, there again in itself is the problem with SD fans. Jeff, I know you love SDSU but you pretty much sum up why we don't get your normal SD fan excited. I mean, your what I think is a BIG SDSU fan and you say this stuff. DUDE, we are not Michigan, Texas, Arizona etc. Now, I think we could play with the majority of them, and I think we would beat Texas and AZ this year, but our lack of 1. Any real fan base and 2. close to any of their resources and 3. close to their game day experience ie. stadium, fans that show up early and often. It's just apples to oranges and the fact that we are kicking major butt in our conference should be respected and given credit by our city and you'd hope by our true fans. Again, just my opinion.

From someone who is not from SD but is from a big city where they do support the home teams, SD fans are pretty horrible for the most part. Too many transplants and the natives by in large are so jaded by never winning "the big one" that they just are overall bad fans. Just my opinion. I mean when a fan can't get excited about their team beating the crap out of someone that in itself lies the problem. When folks are saying nobody cares about you beating a "B" team, there again in itself is the problem with SD fans. Jeff, I know you love SDSU but you pretty much sum up why we don't get your normal SD fan excited. I mean, your what I think is a BIG SDSU fan and you say this stuff. DUDE, we are not Michigan, Texas, Arizona etc. Now, I think we could play with the majority of them, and I think we would beat Texas and AZ this year, but our lack of 1. Any real fan base and 2. close to any of their resources and 3. close to their game day experience ie. stadium, fans that show up early and often. It's just apples to oranges and the fact that we are kicking major butt in our conference should be respected and given credit by our city and you'd hope by our true fans. Again, just my opinion.

I am not gonna lie. I agree with you Beau. I might be one of those fans. I watch games, watch online if I can't watch at home, unless it's that craphole CBSsports channel, then I can't. But, the fact they are beating UNLV, or SJSU. I am sorry, it is just not appealing. When they beat Cal, now that was fun, even though I wasn't able to watch, which was a killer for me. Too many times, sports team in general have gut punched the fans by choking games, doesn't matter if college or pro. So fans are jaded. I always believe the team is going to choke a close game away, because past experiences tell us they will. Just the way it is. Would like for SDSU to become the new Boise, and make noise up top. But, when the big games come around, the team always finds a way to pull a South Alabama game out their hat at the worse possible time.

I am not gonna lie. I agree with you Beau. I might be one of those fans. I watch games, watch online if I can't watch at home, unless it's that craphole CBSsports channel, then I can't. But, the fact they are beating UNLV, or SJSU. I am sorry, it is just not appealing. When they beat Cal, now that was fun, even though I wasn't able to watch, which was a killer for me. Too many times, sports team in general have gut punched the fans by choking games, doesn't matter if college or pro. So fans are jaded. I always believe the team is going to choke a close game away, because past experiences tell us they will. Just the way it is. Would like for SDSU to become the new Boise, and make noise up top. But, when the big games come around, the team always finds a way to pull a South Alabama game out their hat at the worse possible time.
A lot of teams have similar or even worse histories than SDSU with better support. I'm a SD native, as I am sure many others here are as well, and IMO we(locals) are a little too swayed by pretentious transplants...perhaps we feel embarrassed by the lack of easily referenceable success...this would explain how there were no SDSU BB fans, and then after 1 sweet 16, we were all SDSU BB fans...hint hint. Not sure where Beau is from, or his opinion on this, but I've traveled a lot and southern Cal suffers from an especially intense amount of neuroticism IMO...

Sometimes I get really frustrated about the lack of Championships...but the world series offered me a reminder re:timeframe. SDSU football, the NFL merger, and the Padres have all been competing at D1/NFL/MLB all since around 69-70 iirc...
Indian fans have been waiting since 48' and Cubs fans since 08'....SD is still growing up compared to most of the rest.

A lot of teams have similar or even worse histories than SDSU with better support. I'm a SD native, as I am sure many others here are as well, and IMO we(locals) are a little too swayed by pretentious transplants...perhaps we feel embarrassed by the lack of easily referenceable success...this would explain how there were no SDSU BB fans, and then after 1 sweet 16, we were all SDSU BB fans...hint hint. Not sure where Beau is from, or his opinion on this, but I've traveled a lot and southern Cal suffers from an especially intense amount of neuroticism IMO...

Sometimes I get really frustrated about the lack of Championships...but the world series offered me a reminder re:timeframe. SDSU football, the NFL merger, and the Padres have all been competing at D1/NFL/MLB all since around 69-70 iirc...
Indian fans have been waiting since 48' and Cubs fans since 08'....SD is still growing up compared to most of the rest.
Agreed!! Then again, the Diamondbacks, and the Marlins have won!

Agreed!! Then again, the Diamondbacks, and the Marlins have won!
true, my point was more about the resiliency of the Cubs and Indian fans in relation to fans of SD teams however...not that others haven't had to wait as long as us...in a way your response perfectly codifies the typical SD fan reaction.

true, my point was more about the resiliency of the Cubs and Indian fans in relation to fans of SD teams however...not that others haven't had to wait as long as us...in a way your response perfectly codifies the typical SD fan reaction.
They have waited a long, LONG time! Being the greedy guy I am, I am hoping it happens while I am alive, not dead.

ADVERTISEMENT