ADVERTISEMENT

AWC

RubenMeza

Aztec God
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2012
I forgot to mention this earlier: I bumped into a former coach of former San Diego State commit Greg Bell today. It is believed that Bell will go to Arizona Western junior college and play for the Matadors.

You can expect SDSU to stay in the driver's seat for Bell once he gets everything in order. By the sound of it, he will actually enroll early at AWC - that's a very good sign.

There are also rumblings of non-qualifier WR Steffon McKnight, arguably the biggest 2016 recruit in San Diego until schools cooled off because of grades, will also attend AWC. That's a good connection to have...

Side note: Another little rumbling that I've been hearing about from people is that Fred Melifonwu is considering rejoining the team this summer or in the fall as a walk-on. We'll see how that plays out later on.

I also can't help but bring up former right guard Will Tuihalamaka after mentioning Fred. Tui was extremely impressive in the fall but quit the team midseason because he thought he should be playing. I have no update on Tui other than that he's likely going the JC route at this point (my earlier guess was that he would transfer somewhere like UTEP or UNM - that sort of level).

But since many Div. 1 schools have starting spring camp already and his name hasn't popped up anywhere, my guess is that he didn't find a landing spot and will give the JuCo route a go. Any JC would take him because of his pure talent so I'm sure he will end up at one of the big JuCo programs in California.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News