ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday updates

RubenMeza

Aztec God
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2012
-Rocky Long confirmed again Jake Fely was in a minor car accident (he rear ended someone) on Tuesday. It caused no bodily harm, but it was enough for team doctors to diagnose Fely with concussion symptoms.

Fely did not practice today. He will get tested again tomorrow.

"They haven't ruled it a concussion, but he had concussion symptoms," Long said. "So they felt it was better for him not to practice, exert himself today, and they'll recheck him tomorrow."

I asked Rocky if this means that Fely won't play on Saturday, since players usually don't play if they don't practice per his rules in the past. He said, 'not necessarily...

"We had a guy get a concussion on a Monday and he played on Saturday."

He was referring to Jordan Watson in week one vs. USD. My guess is that if Fely shows no signs of a concussion tomorrow morning, he will practice on Thursday and be available to play on Saturday.

If he can't play, Austin Wyatt Thayer will play in his absence. Outside linebackers Ryan Dunn or Tyler Morris can move inside to be Thayer's back up. There's also the possibility that freshman inside linebacker Ronley Lakalaka will be the backup. By the sounds of it, right now, it seems like Fely will be fine by game time.

-Senior nose tackle Christian Heyward was slated to play 10-12 reps against Cal.

Rocky Long said today that they decided not to play him after seeing him warm up against Cal. I'm guessing he was limping or showed irritation of the knee.

This week, Heyward has taken more reps than he did last week, the most since his injury, so the guess is that he will play 10 or more snaps vs. South Alabama as long as he doesn't show any pain during pre-game warmups Saturday. Technically, he's a game-time decision.

-
SDSU is sticking with its top five offensive lineman again this week. Most OL coaches like to have a top-eight, though. I learned today SDSU's top eight OL also consists of Sergio Phillips, Austin Maass and Joe Salcedo. Salcedo can swing at either tackle spot and Phillips and Maass can play all three interior spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News