ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday practice notes (SJSU week)

RubenMeza

Aztec God
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2012
-Through two days, it definitely appears that Antonio Rosales and his ankle are having the best week of practice in several weeks. That doesn't mean he's coming off the ball like he's truly capable of, but the improvement of his limp is obvious. He still seems pretty frustrated about how long this ankle issue has gone on though.

Rosales was actually with the first team during drills today though. He took back Keith Ismael's spot at right guard while Dominic Gudino remained at first team center.

-This may not amount to anything but I noticed some sort of wrap around Ismael's left shoulder. That may be the reason why Rosales was with the first unit. Remember, Ismael had surgery on his shoulder this summer.

-Backup tackle Joe Salcedo didn't participate in drills at all today and I don't know why. I'll get more injury updates when Rocky is available tomorrow.

-It's worth noting that SDSU did send out its entire second team o-line against Hawaii.

Salcedo and Kyle Spalding were the tackles while Zach Thomas and Nick Gerhard came in. Rosales even came in for one snap when one of the guards had his helmet fall off during the game.

-I should also mention OL Coach Mike Schmidt seemed to be stressing 'communication' on the o-line during drills. I'm guessing they expect SJSU to stunt a lot.

-DE Myles Cheatum was with the d-line group today but only watched drills from the side. No sign yet if he can go this weekend or not.

Even thought the sooner he returns the better, I'm betting the staff has more confidence in playing without him after Chibu's performance last week.

-Just like yesterday, Parker Baldwin practiced in drills but most of the open practice portion was decidicated to Bobby Hauck and special teams play so I don't know if he did any actual live action. It's likely that Dwayne Johnson is taking first team reps during the live action periods.

-Soph. DB Trent Thompson was watching practice again. Rehab seems to be going well.

-CB Garrett Binkley is no longer using crutches to watch practice, but DB Keoni Stallworth is.

- I really like the development of freshman OT
Desmond Bessent. He could be a lraner yet meaner version of Pearce Slater.

-If this is confirmed, one major note that I've been missing is that I noticed a No. 13 with the safety group.

No. 13 also was wearing a club on his right hand...

If that No. 13 is indeed freshman WR Isaiah Richardson, it's possible the staff made a position change.

This would be surprising to me because he had an excellent fall camp as a receiver. My hope is that SDSU moved him to DB for this season only because of his hand injury, and will move him back to WR when he's actually able to catch the ball without the club.

If so, that's the smarter approach in my opinion because it keeps him involved in practice instead of shadowing the WR group.

Plus, it opens up the possibilty of a potential postion change to DB if he ends up performing really well in practice. I still believe he will be a fantastic WR down the line though and having him play some DB could even benefit him more as a receiver too.

-NFL scouts from the Bills and Jags were at practice today.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News