ADVERTISEMENT

Thought on practice (Wednesday)

RubenMeza

Aztec God
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2012
Today's practice began 45 minutes earlier than usual so I was very late but still managed to take some notes from today's action.

First off, the breakout players today were RB Rashaad Penny and RB Darryl Richardson. Richardson made two more very impressive catches today while Penny was the only running back to bounce outside and break off two long touchdown runs during scrimmage periods today (credit Dakota Gordon for key blocks). It's crazy to think that Richardson and Penny may end up being third stringer this season - that's how much talent SDSU has at each position.

Speaking of the two scrimmage periods, it looked like Rocky basically wanted to work on getting first downs today since the markers never moved and drives never went longer than 10 yards. I'm told Friday's scrimmage will be more of a full field scrimmage.

Along with scrimmage action, today was the first time I caught everyone in full pads. It made a big difference for me when watching the QBs as I can tell Christian Chapman and Jake Rodrigues are the most elusive quarterbacks when it comes to avoiding traffic in the pocket. Nick Bawden's right behind them.

I also had a good look at the OL/DL one-on-ones, which I will post some clips for you guys soon. I think, as of today, Darrell Greene is the best pure offensive lineman out of the group. With Christian Heyward and Alex Barrett out, Dakota Turner is beginning to stick out more and more as a top DL. I thought Noble Hall had some good reps but he still relies on his bull rush a lot, even though it's proven to be very effective.

The two reserve tackles, Ryan Pope and Joe Salcedo, were very inconsistent today and were blown by on consecutive reps.

The transfer OL, Ryan Krum, is a huge guy but he's extremely stiff and I don't know if his footwork will ever get to a level high enough to see playing time.

I should also note that former LB Zach Brown is now lining up at nose tackle now that walkon NT Sean O'Grady quit. Brown actually looked pretty comfortable at nose but it will take him a while before he shows true potential at the position.

Walk on DE Damon Moore looked very good today too.

Another transfer that impressed today was linebacker Ryan Dunn. He made a number of impressive tackles near the line during live scrimmage periods and he's looking like he can be a contributor. I also really like what Devante Davis brings to the table with his speed.

David Wells and Richardson were both consistent during 7on7, but Richardson definitely stood out more during live action. He looks like he can be the go to guy once a play breaks down because the QBs looked for him whenever they were forced out of the pocket today, and he made plays each time.

At WR, Paul Pitts III and Eric Judge each had nice downfield plays. For whatever reason, Judge doesn't run as fluid as I remember so I'm guessing his knee is still bothering him. His speed and cutting ability is still all there but you can tell his running strides look a little off.
I should also note that WR Chase Favreau is becoming more and more confident as a wide receiver and he's much more vocal than I remember. He's beginning to show a different side of himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News