ADVERTISEMENT

Practice No. 2

RubenMeza

Aztec God
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2012
Today was practice No. 2 and the setup was very similar to the opening spring practice on Monday. The only difference was how practice ended: SDSU coaches challenged the players to try and hit one of the field goal poss from about 30 yards out. One of the assustant coaches made contact, so the players did an extra running drill to end practice.

Moving forward, SDSU will have a closed light practice on Friday (with shoulder pads) and a closed scrimmage on Saturday in full pads.

The next practice open to the media will be on Monday.

Some notes:

-As mentioned in another thread, Jabril Clewis will miss spring camp due to academics. He can return to the team program this summer if his grades are back in order.

-Christian Chapman's throwing motion looks much quicker than I remember and it definitely looks like he has more zip on the ball after watching him for two days. I felt like he and Walker have looked better during 7v7s and 11v11s compared to Agnew but he's still a step above everyone else in terms of consistency and his ball placement.

-Nick Bawden continues to look solid with the first unit. You can tell he's the only FB with game experience and that's why he's currently the top guy..

-Daniel Brunskill had a strong day and was counted on as the last read during 7v7s and came up with some tough catches.

-I've noticed that Sergio Phillips never gets called out by the coaching staff for lining up out of position which is a big improvement for him. Remember, he originally signed with SDSU as a center and has been moved back and forth ever since. He has never showed frustration and has worked hard wherever they put him. He's definitely earned his spot with the first team.

-SUU transfer Dominic O'Brien will be in the mix for the right guard spot, which he's currently competing for with Antonio Rosales. He moves his feet very well and has nice size.

-Derrick Achayo moved from tackle to center for practice today. Definitely fits the mold better at that spot.

-Ryan Pope took a hard fall on his knee but toughened it out and had another good day. It's going to be tough to pick between him and Joe Salcedo for the open tackle spot. We'll see if Pope has improved on his run blocking next week when the team is in full pads. That can be the deciding factor on whether or not he emerges as the guy.

-The DBs continued to look like the best unit on the field today. Damontae Kazee, Malik Smith, Kameron Kelly and Parker Baldwin make plays every time I watch them up close. It's also worth noting that Kazee is always with the first team but it seems like Tony White's plan for camp is to rotate Billy Vaughn Jr., Kalan Montgomery and Derek Babiash with the first team at the other corner spot during each practice. Vaughn worked with the ones on Monday and it was Montgomery's turn today. The next practice is closed to the media but I'm betting Babiash will be with the first-team.

I like this plan. It gives all three a chance to prove that they can start and it makes sense considering they are all pretty similar in terms of size and play style. I wouldn't be surprised if any one of them wins the starting gig in the fall but my early pick is between Vaughn and Babiash - probably Babiash but it's very close.

Vaughn's breaking ability has really improved now that he's healthy and Babiash is just a freak athlete for his size. The offense called crosses during 7v7 and Babiash got beat by Judge over the middle but he was still able to keep up with him when cutting upfield (that's saying a lot since Judge may top-five on the team in terms of top-end speed).

It's also worth noting that all three corners are just juniors so that will give time for guys like Ron Smith and incoming corner Tayler Hawkins to develop under White.

-Kazee had the pick of the day, diving for an interception in front of Eric Judge on a post route. He should repeat as DPOY unless MW quarterbacks decide not to test him next season.

-In terms of offensive skill guys, it's clear that the game-breaking type athletes are still DJ Pumphrey and Mikah Holder (not to mention Mikah's chemistry with Chapman will pay off big this year).

Those two are the only guys who are consistently able to make one guy miss and burn everyone else up the field on any given rep. Chase Favreau and Rashaad Penny (as a running back/slot receiver) do it every now and then but not nearly as consistent as Holder and Pumphrey.

Who's my guess to be the next game breaker? Favreau is a possibility that will surprise most fans. Jerry Chaney is a sleeper. Right now it's hard to say.

-Eric Judge and Jimmy Walker connected on the longest 1v1 rep today. Judge ran by walkon corner Kevin Walcott (who is a very impressive athlete) on a streak and caught the ball at its high point in stride for a 50+yard TD.

Christian Cumberlander also had a nice over the shoulder catch from Mason Hall about 40 yards down the sideline. Walcott was also defending that one.

-The QBs aired it out much more today than they did on Monday. I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Morgan made it a point to them after the first practice to take some more chances downfield on Wednesday.

-Kendrick Mathis has potential as a WR because of his athleticism but he has dropped two or three makeable catches during each of the two opening practices. His teammates seem really encouraging though and the hope is he will be much more comfortable at WR by the end of camp compared to now.

-Marcus Stamps has been catching the ball very well in these first two practices and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays himself into a h-back/fullback role if the coaches decide too many running backs are ahead of him moving forward.

-Calvin Munson had the pick of the day, a one-handed over the head snag against Ryan Agnew's screen pass. Munson read it perfectly and tried to deflect it but somehow held onto it.

-I know Parker Baldwin looks like he's the Aztec of the future after Na'Im McGee graduates but Jeff Clay will always make a solid case during his career. Baldwin is very smart in pass coverage and overall deserves his spot on the depth chart, without question, but Clay has moments where it looks like the Aztec position was built for him. His instincts and run support always stand out in 11v11s but his pass coverage/ball skills always seem to lack during 1v1s. That's why he's currently at warrior with the second team.

-I wish I could tell you guys more about the offensive and defensive linemen but we really won't get a feel for them until next week when the pads come on. They've spent most of these practices working on the intricacies of their position (feet, steps, hand placement, bend etc.).

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News