ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations

jagle

Infantry
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2011
Nevada City, CA
I'm a very proud Aztec today.

Consider for a moment the primary flaw this version of Aztec basketball displayed. Regardless of any personal tendencies or coaching decisions, we simply didn't play well in the second half of games. Arizona St, Fresno, New Mexico, Wyoming, Nevada ... probably several more. We lacked whatever it takes to finish games strongly.

Come up with all the justifications for yesterday's loss you can eat. Poor FT shooting, 1H turnovers, blown layups, etc. Then consider how successfully we closed out that game. Our kids did exactly what was needed to come back. Hard defense, offensive movement to the rim, no TOs, a few timely shots, calmness and belief. We were beaten by a guard who had a fabulous day in March. Kemba, anyone? We had a clean March Shot and missed.

I'm not smart enough to attribute the increase in fortitude that was displayed over the last two months. At the very least, we'd all agree the players played better and the coaches coached better. The players and coaches gave us a very memorable and ultimately enjoyable basketball season. I don't think a single one of us will forget the image of that shot hitting the left side of the rim as the clock expired. A March Moment that went the other way.

But it was a MARCH Moment, and at the beginning of February, I don't think any of us saw more than unrealized potential. This 2017-2018 Aztec basketball team gave us two months of arguably the best basketball we've seen post-Kawhi.

Aztec for Life, and can't wait to see how next season unfolds.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News