Local Ca High School and Other Sports News

Discussion in 'Black and Read' started by dawrestling, Aug 29, 2015.

1. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Max Shiffer's 4 touchdown passes paces Oceanside High in win over San Marcos-By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Excalibur Field-San Marcos High School-San Marcos, CA: After 24 years head coach John Carroll announced his retirement and finished with a career record of 224 wins 70 losses and 6 ties along with a lot of sectional titles along with 2 state titles added to his credentials after 8 years as an assistant coach Dave Rodriguez was named the new head coach of the Pirates and made his debut along with jr quarterback Max Shufer who pulled some tricks out of the rabbits hat after trailing 3-0 on a Miles Liss 33 yard field goal completed 1 pass for 15 yards to wide receiver Dai Quan Cook to take a 7-3 halftime. In the 3rd quarter the Knights of San Marcos struck back in the as Ty Rogers as he carried the ball 14 times for 50 yards scored a touchdown run of 3 yards to take a 7-3 lead. Pirate QB Tyler Shiffer 10 completions out of 24 attempts for 237 yards threw 3 more touchdown passes 2 to Taj Apadaca for 36 yards (Apadaca 5 receptions for 83 yards)and 1 to Jake Gerardi for 14 yards (Gerardi 5 touchdowns for 83 yards)
    "San Marcos is a good team they played well and gave us a battle and it was a hard fought game." said Tyler Shiffer qb of the Pirates. "I'm glad we came out with the win after trailing 10-7 early in the third quarter on my first pass of 18 yards to Dai Quan Cook was a play that I used as San Marcos Terrell Burgess battled well on defense, the play was there and we got it done." "On the 2 36 yard passes to Taj Apadaca it was the same rout that I didn't throw on time but I'm glad that he was there and we executed the play very well for the my last touchdown pass to Jake Gerardi of 14 yards it was a goal line play their safety was playing on the opposite side of the field a free snap I knew that touchdown play was coming."

Dave Rodriguez on his debut as head coach: "It's a great team win for Oceanside Pirate football our kids played their hearts out at first it was a tight game that went nip and tuck but some way some how a Pirate makes a play I was very proud as our kids believe that we instill it in them every single day they delivered tonight I'm proud of that." "Tyler Schiffer made his debut and for a while had a shaky start then he made adjustments and settled down as he let the game come for him and the numbers speak for themselves as he performed well." "Dyllan Mack my running back ran well as our kids to the right and to the left to the strength of their team they lean on one another before that the effort is for the offensive line up front great game plan with Coach Girardi with the run game and keeping those chains moving and gave us a chance to be successful on defense as my defensive coordinator put up a special game plan to stop the run and the pass as I stay out of their way it is the responsibility of my defensive coordinator as he helped the kids put good pressure up front and our defensive coverage was outstanding we won on the turnovers our defense really stepped up tonight we will enjoy and the rest of the week we go back to work as we prepare for Eastside Catholic they are a national program we will be excited to test ourselves against one of the best teams in the United States"

With the win the Oceanside Pirates improve to 1-0 and will host Eastside Catholic out of Sammmish, WA the defending state football champions in a Friday 8:00 pm Honor Bowl contest at Oceanside High School. San Marcos 0-1 will host Chula Vista on Friday, September 2 at home.

For the Knights of San Marcos qb Bryce Bollen 20 completions out of 35 attempts with 2 interceptions for 245 yards. Terrell Burgess 5 receptions for 94 yards and Hoby Teets 4 receptions for 63 yards.

1 dawrestling, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    AztecPhil likes this.
  2. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Kyle Williams ready for 3rd season at Fallbrook High

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Fallbrook High School-Fallbrook, CA-Monday, August, 24, 2015-In his first year as head coach at Fallbrook High, the Warriors finished with a 3-8 record in 2013 but in his second season and for the first time in school history in 11 years Kyle Williams guided the Warriors to a 7-4 along with their first Valley League title in the first round was defeated in the CIF First Round San Diego Section playoffs by Granite Hills 38-7 on the Warriors home field. The last time Fallbrook had their last winning season was in 2003 where they won the Avocado League Title under former coach Dennis Houldren as they finished with a 10-4 record and were defeated in Qualcolm Stadium by Torrey Pines 7-3.

With a career record of 10-12 Coach Williams discussed his squad for 2015 "We had our first winning season for the first time in 11 years along with a Valley League title our players are confident and talented as we return a lot of starters who are solid seniors and talented kids who are juniors we feel as long as we're competitive we will play our best football this season the schools that we play are good there are no easy games for our squad as we need to play well in order for us to be successful."

"One of the talented backs the Warriors return in Parker Martin is a returning transfer back for us this year after his family was stationed in Alaska for the last 2 years is an runner for us he also ran a 4.6 in the 40 yard dash his speed is smooth and powerful."

"Up front the Warriors return 6'4" 250 pound sr and All Valley League football player and starts on both sides of the ball for us Colin Dowling." said Williams." At qb will be Jack Grantham, with a good arm for us and hope to counter our running game along with his ability to throw the ball which we didn't do." "With an array of backs who are looking to run and to score touchdowns we return James Nicholas a very explosive running back for us last season as he ran key plays for us and also doubles on the corners on whoever their best receiver is we also return James Nicholas and Isaac Maxwell is a 6'3" tight ends doubles as a defensive end for and is a strong down blocker but his hands are questionable we have to continue to make sure that he is punting the ball and receiving the ball we are not waste a play."

"Some teams to watch out for in the Valley League are Escondido as they put their game in the league as they suffered a lot of injuries last year and their record didn't reflect their talent level, San Pasqual 2 years ago played for the CIF Division I finals they are going to be good Valley Center has won 4 or 6 CIF Championships in the last 11 years those three teams that we have to battle every week it is going to be close and competitive you can't disregard Orange Glen they have won 6 games last year outside of the conference their improving which helps their kids every game for us is going to be difficult."

"We open up against Westview High School which is a very talented team they are a bigger division then what we are they are big up front on both sides of the ball they have skilled and big receivers their qb is athletic they don't want to try to throw the ball far down the field but they are more of an intermediate passing game they want to hammer the ball with their backs and want their athletic quarterback to run the ball we feel like on defense where we can stop the run don't give up any plays."

"Our offense runs the Wing T formation it started I was a defensive coordinator for 16 years the team that I had most respect in the county was Torrey Pines they run the wing t they made me study that offensive play as I knew someday we are going to run the Wing T this offensive formation has so many elements which is power football and you can go outside look for the action pass it is a do what you want offense as long as you stick with the rules it is the offense that Fallbrook used to run in the early 2000's when we had good years when they won their last title in 2003 and when I got the job as head coach this school is built for the Wing T we wanted to get get rid of the spread offense the Wing T offense fits our guys as our school had tried to run we are not going to be the biggest team on the field we are going to be the most conditioned and the most athletic we want to fire our offensive on all cylinders in the 4th quarter."

3. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Head Football Coach Joe Early Ready for 14th Season at Palomar Community College

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Wednesday, September 2, 2015-Palomar College-San Marcos, CA-With a career record of 82-57 win and ready to start his 14th season as football coach of Palomar Junior College along with other credentials of in 2009 where he finished his record at 10-3 along with a championship round of the Southern California Community College Championship game and finished 8th in the JC Grid Wire rankings.

During his playing days with the Comets in the opening game of 1979 season where he returned the third longest kickoff return of 98 yards where Palomar defeated Orange Coast by a 36-21 score. After his playing days he has been involved with the football team where he's held different assistant coaching positions.

The Comets have a lot of questions to be answered as they open up their 2015 season at Citrus Community College

Head coach Joe Early on his team "I like the energy and the atmosphere were very athletic so is everyone else is that we have been playing I'll know a little more about these guys on Sunday."

About the team in general: "Back from 2014 offensive side of the ball we have a couple of lineman back Mike Stevens from Vahalla High School and Charlie Stevens from Poway High School is out with an injury right now we have on defense we return Hunter Moore who will anchor one side along with Arnold Voa who was a 2014 redshirt and JJ Tahale at the linebacker slots in the secondary we are very young we lost 2 all conference players last season were athletic and they are going to do a good job."

Quarterbacks "I feel that we have 3 good qb's anyone can play Tofi PaoPao out of Oceanside will be the starting qb on Saturday as in my son Austin Early and teammate Risaiah Busunto we have to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. We feel good about having those three quarterbacks and be ready for Saturday."

Running Game: "The running game is going to be important where we have to control the clock be physical up front and any good football team can run we have to be concerned but we will mix up some plays a little bit but when it's time to run the ball will add some plays. " At running back we have Diviante Sells from Rancho Buena Vista High along with Garrett Fiehler who redshirted and he is back this year a new person that we have is Jacob Bedford, Sean Cameron if he can get his eligibility squared away there are 6 or 7 running back that can play for us right now we have to way to see how things go academically."

Defense: "Our defense is all new with the exception of Wayne Gannon he returns from last year for our receivers and tight ends we lost L J Bailey who is playing with the Idaho Vandals and David Nolan who is a punt returner at Baker University

Tight Ends: "Our tight ends are all new as we have Tyree Burton who played both at TE and DE last year is back at tight end again we have Robert Ursua who came back from the military." " Last year we have a 6'7" Fallbrook athlete in Jake Johnson who came to us as a quarterback and he redshirted and has improved his skills with his size when he put some weight on his bones he will get an opportunity to play for our squad."

Prepare for opener: "We have one more high tempo practice tomorrow along with game situations if we get through that in a positive manner we have our exam on Saturday we are ready for Citrus College."

4. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Subject: Bryce Olivio's 2 touchdown runs pace Fallbrook High to 47-0 win over Serra

-By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Friday, September 4, 2015-Warriors Stadium-Fallbrook High School-After a 28-7 lost at Westview High School in San Diego last Friday things went the Warriors way as they displayed their Wing T formation as in Tubby Raymond who used to coach the University of Delaware Blue Hens would always run that play on 2 touchdown runs by Fallbrook running back Bryce Olivio as he scored 2 touchdown runs of 14 and 3 yards and contributed with 24 carries for 243 yards as they defeated Serra High School from San Diego by a 47-0 score.

Kyle Williams on his Warriors performance: "We knew that we made some adjustments tonight after last week's 28-7 lost at Westview High School in San Diego." " I relinquished the quick calling defensive duties tonight and our defense was overwhelming on making a lot of key tackles and we bought back 2 former offensive coordinators to co coordinate from the press box." "Today our offense picked up the tempo and were successful tonight, last week when we played Westview where we lost 28-7 QB Jack Grantham scored the only touchdown for us on a quarterback sneak in the fourth quarter but just like tonight Bryce Olivio is our bread and butter ball carrier as he contributed on our offense early in the game he got our squad on the perimeter as the game went on." "Parker Martin is the only kid on our squad that doesn't play both ways he is a transfer back to us trying to get back into shape to run on our offense but I was happy with his performance tonight." "Jack Grantham my QB did a lot better at throwing the ball tonight this year we struggled with protection last week vs. Westview and he did some good things tonight along with some play action passes." "Our defense stepped and played well in a high caliber team in Westview but we had three back plays that led to our opponent going up 21-0 on some 3 back plays that shouldn't have happened we could correct our mistakes and improve in the secondary I feel will get better as the season goes on We play LaJolla and won 55-52 at our place last year we are expecting a high scoring shootout."

Other Warriors scoring touchdowns were Taylor Padilla 2 carries for 11 yards along with a 1 yard touchdown run of 12 yards, Parker Martin 6 carries for 32 yards along with a 1 yard touchdown run of 3 yards James Nicholas 8 carries for 48 yards scored on a 8 yard touchdown run Nahshon Hagen 6 carries for 60 yards scored on a 1 touchdown run of 36 yards 1 safety for 2 points and a Joe Bishop 31 yard field goal.

QB passing for Fallbrook Jack Grantham 3 completions out of 9 attempts for 76 yards and for Serra Jack Bradley 18 completions out of 34 attempts for 143 yards

The Fallbrook Warriors improve to 1-1 on the season as they will take on LaJolla High next Friday at 7:00 pm.

5. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Anthony Catalano and University of Arizona bound JJ Taylor paces Centennial to a 52-13 win over Serra-By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Oceanside High School-Oceanside, CA: In the last game of The Honor Bowl JJ Taylor's (15 carries for 143 yards) and scored on 3 touchdown runs 2 of 1 yard each and 1 run for 39 yards along with quarterback Anthony Catalano (13 carries for 78 yards) scored on a 1 yard touchdown run and passed (11 completions out of 18 attempts for 111 yards) and threw a touchdown run of 3 yards to Cameron Jackson paced the Huskies of Centennial High School at 2-0 to a 52-13 win over the Cavaliers of Serra High School.

Arizona bound JJ Taylor: "It was a team performance today give a lot of credit to my offensive line and my quarterback for blocking me they made the run the ranking doesn't matter to me we are going to play the way we play

For Serra at 1-1 Jelani Eason (21 completions out of 34 attempts for 238 yards) threw 2 touchdown passes of 75 yards to Isaiah Thomas Diego (9 reception for 84 yards) and to Brandon Burton (4 receptions for 106 yards) scored on a 75 yards.

6. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Austin Early Head Coaches son paces Palomar Opens Season with 24-14 win over Citrus College

For 14 years in a row head coach Joe Early registered his opening win but with the help of his son Austin who had split for playing time at qb as he went 7 completions out of 8 attempts for 101 yards threw a touchdown pass of 23 yards to Tiree Burton paced the Comets of Palomar College to a 24-14 opening win over Citrus College.

Other Palomar performers; Reggie Wilson connected on a 39 yard field goal Garrett Fiehler recovered a fumble in the end zone and Diviante Sayles 24 carries for 61 yards scored on a touchdown run of scored on a touchdown run of 3 yards.

For Citrus College, Bryan Meyette passed 32 completions out of 52 attempts for 344 yards and threw 2 touchdown passes of 66 yards to Andre Long (5 receptions for 95 yards) and 1 touchdown pass of 26 yards to Gino Mastreneda (2 completions for 50 yards)

7. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Matt Salazar's 2 key touchdown passes paces Rancho Bernardo in win over Vista

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Vista High School-Vista, CA: The Broncos of Rancho Bernardo improve their record to 3-0 on 3 field goals by Matt Ariza of 25, 31 and 35 yards along with Mark Salazar's 17 completions out of 24 attempts for 126 yards threw touchdown passes of 27 to Malcolm Grice, 37 yards to Leo Wagner paced the Broncos of Rancho Bernardo to a 37-6 win over the Panthers of Vista High School at 1-2. Malcolm Grice led in rushing 11 carries for 54 yards. Keulia Pistano scored on a 2 yard run and Ray Velasquez returned a fumbled punt for 11 yards.

Head Football Coach Tristan McCoy: "We came down in preparation and hard enough for us to prepare for Vista as I have a great deal of respect for their program they played hard and physical. "After last week as we turned the page as our guys had an amazing test against these Panthers from day one this is a going to be a physical battle and we prepared like it is a playoff game I am glad with the effort and on the offensive side we have to fix some issues myself as a coach I am happy."

Vista's only touchdown came as Abraham Lopez 7 carries for 48 yards scored on a 1 yard run.

8. Survalli

Survalli Infantry
    Expand Collapse

good stuff

9. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

PC awakens, plays LBCC tough last 3 quarters

ESCONDIDO (9-12-2015) -- Palomar did everything it could to continually shoot itself in the foot in the first quarter, climbed back into the game over the last three periods but dropped a sloppy 27-17 decision to nationally 10th-ranked Long Beach City College on Saturday evening at Wilson Stadium.

The Comets saw their record dip to 1-1 in the non-conference match-up. The Vikings, who also came in ranked No. 4 in the state, upped their record to 2-0.

Palomar couldn't have created more problems for itself than it did in falling behind 20-0 after one quarter. On their first three plays from scrimmage, they turned the ball over three times on bad center snaps / mishandled snaps out of their spread offense. Various penalties and further breakdowns also played into Long Beach's hands as the Vikings jumped out to a 20-0 lead on a field goal, a 28-yard touchdown pass, a 1-yard TD run and another field goal.

The Comets appeared to get back into the game after trailing 10-0, as Davante Sayles broke off an apparent 68-yard touchdown run. But the play was brought back due to a holding call back at the line of scrimmage.

Getting a big effort from its defensive unit, Palomar outscored the visitors 17-7 over the last three quarters, 14-0 in the fourth quarter.

Reggie Wilson got the Comets on the board with 23 seconds left in the second quarter on a 31-yard field goal, making it 20-3 at the half. After LBCC tacked on a touchdown pass to lead 27-3 after three quarters, Palomar rebounded for 14 unanswered points in the fourth quarter on two Risaiah Bursurto TD passes, a 20-yarder to Cameron Calhoun and a 10-yarder to Evan Gray, and a two-point convrsion pass from Bursurto to Jaron Locke.

The Comets almost did more in the fourth quarter than just get back in the game. But Busurto's 63-yard run on a keeper which would have given them a first-and-goal at the 1-yard line was also nullified by a penalty at the line of scrimmage, and two passes into the end zone fell barely incomplete.

By this time Palomar had completely turned the momentum around, with Long Beach losing its composure and piling up 234 yards in penalties for the game. The teams combined for 331 penalty yards between them.

Also for the Comets, Austin Early had an 81-yard run, Shawn Cameron contributed four kickoffs for 94 yardsand Wayne Ganan returned three punts for 64 yards. Michael Prayer and Abdullah Webster intercepted passes. J.D. Fox recorded a sack, and Arnold Voa had two tackles for loss.

The Comets, who are attempting to overcome a series of injuries on the offensive line, will be back in action in another non-conference game next Saturday at 6 p.m. when they host resurgent San Diego Mesa, which advanced to 2-0 Saturday night by beating Los Angeles Southwest.

10. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Oceanside defeats San Pasqual 30-8

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-John Carroll Stadium-Simcox Field-After an 8-0 first quarter deficit on a fumble recovery in the end zone by San Pasqual’s Justin Pavloff the Pirates of Oceanside continued their winning ways as quarterback Rob Beardsley 5 completions out of 13 attempts for 59 yards threw 2 touchdown passes of 10 yards to Azizi Jordan and 27 yards to Ronan Ivanovich along with a 2 point safety to take a 16-8 lead.

The Eagles fumbled the ball as Oceanside’s Jake Gerardi recovered and ran 64 yards for another touchdown and running back Nikeo Mageo’s 19 carries for 148 yards scored on a 4 yard touchdown run as they defeated the 1-2 Eagles of San Pasqual by a 30-8 score to improve their record to 3-1.

Oceanside High School Head Football Coach Dave Rodriguez on the win: “Our respect to head Coach Dave Corley and his staff as they prepare squad ready to play football.” “As a coach I feel I have to do a better job at preparing our squad to get ready to play football right out of the gate as our staff have settled down, the kids did their assignments and every week it will be different but I’m proud of our kids helping one another our and to find a way on how improve every week as we are proud to be 3-1 on the season.” “Rob Beardsle’s 2 touchdown passes as he pulled the trigger to put us up at that point were now playing where Pirate Football should be.” “Jake Gerardi did well on the scoop and score which is all of his hard work he does so many responsibilities for us when he had the opportunity as he ran 40 yard and 100 yard dashes he has helped our squad a lot.”

For the Eagles at San Pasqual qb Aldair Valle led with 14 carries for 44 yards.

11. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Chris Brown and Beau Gallagos sparks undefeated El Camino in win over Fallbrook-Herb Meyer Stadium-El Camino High School-Oceanside,CA-Friday, September 25, 2015: The El Camino Wildcats ranked 5th in the San Diego CIF Division improves their record to 4-0 as they defeated the 2-3 Warriors of Fallbrook HIgh by a 13-6 score.

The Wildcats scored their points in the first half as running back Chris Brown 11 carries for 76 yards along with qb Beau Gallagos 7 completions out of 19 attempts for 53 threw a 16 yard pass to Dhante Hill Aris Jackson carries the ball 10 times for 78 yards.

Kyle Williams Head Football Coach at Fallbrook High School: “I don’t know how I feel right now we just finished playing El Camino, the 5th ranked team in the county, their defense is one of the best along with solid athletes we knew that we had a chance to play with them it would be a low scoring football game.” We recovered 4 or 5 fumbles and we are proud as our squad came here to win and knew its going to be a battle as we started well on the opening drives they were able to adjust when we had the ball on the 2 and couldn’t get in and score but in the red zone in both the 3rd and 4th quarter our squad had negative plays and penalties which started to hurt us a bit.”

“Beau Gallagos threw the ball well and their offense is physical and explosive as we had to got to their guys our defense stopped them on the ground in the second half we wanted to make them throw on 3rd and long so we can get our dime package on them for them to throw the ball which is a bit our game plan which was successful for the most part.” “Bryce Olivos (11 carries for 30 yards tonight) leads our squad in touchdowns and he scored 6 td’s and is the workhorse for our squad. ”

” Antonio Gomez made his 2nd start in a row after the injury to starting qb Jack Grantham our starting qb and should be back from an injury for the Escondido (Gomez)has played well and is a great faker we exploited their man coverage too many times and had to take our changes and turnovers which hurt us a lot.”

Fallbrook scored their points in the 3rd and 4th quarter as Joe Bishop connected on field goals of 41 and 24.

El Camino will take on San Pasqual High School on the road next Friday while Fallbrook will have a bye week on October 1st.

12. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Grossmont's late touchdown pass of 74 yards defeats Poway 20-13

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Poway High School, Poway, CA-10-2-15-In a hard foot battle that was held at Poway High School the Foothillers of Grossmont High School improve their record to 5-0 on the season as they defeated the Poway Titans at 3-3 by a 20-13 score before a
    homecoming crowd looked on.

The Foothillers came back after trailing 7-0 on Jacob Gaines (21 carries for 135 yards) 10 yard touchdown run tied the contest at 7-7 as quarterback Hunter Gaines 19 completions out of 35 attempts with 1 interception for 219 yards threw a 1 yard pass to Khaleel Davis with the PAT good.
    In the fourth quarter, The Titans took the lead at 13-7 as qb Rob Sullivan scored on a 1 yard touchdown run with the PAT Blocked. The Foothillers came back as qb Hunter Gaines scored on an 21 yard touchdown with the PAT blocked tied the game at 13-13.
    With 5:00 left in the game the Foothillers pulled out a bag of tricks as James Mackey threw a 74 yard halfback pass to Khaleel Davis with Brittany Huff's PAT Good which made the final score 20-13 in favor of Grossmont.
    Grossmont Head Coach Tom Karlo: "For Poway to be at 3-3 is very tough after they have lost to 2 undefeated teams we were underdog coming in the contest tonight our kids fought hard for the win." "On the 74 yard touchdown play for the score, we used a variety of trick plays our arsenal was our running back was trying to work on a sweep and he threw the long pass to Khaleel Davis we have a ton of those we wanted to run them took some chances and did various plays and it worked out for us."
    "Everyone has keyed in on running back Jake Harr right now he is a good kid and we have a lot of good players on the offensive line everytime when we feed him the ball he caught a few passes and does it all and for us our defense played lights out they are unbelieveable guys to hold Poway to a 13 is very impressive. "
    The Grossmont Foothillers will take on El Capitan in Lakeside, CA on Friday, October 9, 2015 while the Titans of Poway will host Mt. Carmel on Friday, October 16, 2015

13. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Jake Newman’s 4 touchdowns pace Valley Center 4-3 overall and 1-1 in the Valley League in 32-21 win over Fallbrook in Valley League Game-By David A. Willauer-Fallbrook High School-Fallbrook, CA-10-16-15: In a Valley League Football game on a Teachers and Staff night in Warriors Stadium the Valley Center Jaguars stole the spotlight behind the outstanding running performance of Jake Newman as he carried the ball 41 times for 231 yards scored two touchdown runs of 2 yards each along with an 8 yarder and a 35 yarder and field goal kicker Rod Rodriguez connected on field goals of 35 and 37 yards as they defeated Fallbrook at 3-4, 1-1 in conference play by a 32-21 score.

QB Rhett Riley 8 completions out of 17 attempts for 58 yards for Valley Center.

Kyle Williams Fallbrook Head Football Coach: “I thought our kids went hard and played a competitive Valley Center football squad, they have a good football tradition and we knew that we were in for a battle.” “We made too many mistakes on defense but on offense we had more explosive plays and had a chance to score at the end of the first half.” “Everytime the ball gets in our possession that we had by the time we had the ball we missed a field goal before the end we were down by 9 points at the half we came back and scored and gave up a late touchdown on 3rd and long we were in a defensive package called the bunch formation on that play is where we shift out of the zone and had to stop the coral route our guys didn’t cover the play which is a blown coverage and on first and goal for Valley Center instead of kicking the field goal they made good offensive plays as our defense made too many mistakes but the kids have to learn from their errors.” “Our goal is to get a share of the Valley League title and also to make the CIF Football Playoffs as Valley Center is a CIF Division III team and that was our second round game that we would have played and for us to be successful we have to win the games.”

“Jake Newman of Valley Center with 231 yards rushing is a good player and is a vertical runner as his legs go plowing he broke a lot of tackles and their offensive line is big up front just in case we missed some tackles at the line of scrimmage he broke into the secondary and he is fast.” “JP Nichols ran the ball well for us tonight as we ran the trap all night that is when you play offense we had some explosive plays tonight.” ” My quarterback Jack Grantham was out for 2 games with a broken wrist he threw 2 touchdown passes last week in our 42-7 win over Escondido it is something that we need to do is to work on our blocking schemes better we will improve our offense that we need to do to and that is for us to do it in practice to get better.”

For the Warriors James Nichols had 11 carries for 162 yards scored touchdown runs of 30, 68 yards while qb Jack Grantham 4 completions out of 8 attempts for 57 yards and threw a 23 yard touchdown pass to Parker Martin (1 reception for 23 yards).

14. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

5 players Spark Fallbrook in homecoming win over Orange Glen

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-10-30-15-Warriors Stadium-Fallbrook High School-Fallbrook, CA-In tonight's homecoming contest tonights Halloween Title was called "Nightmare on Warrior Way" but the Warriors of Fallbrook at 5-4 overall and 3-1 in the Valley League found out a way to win and they did as they defeated the Patriots of Orange Glen by a 69-7 score.

Parker Martin (2 carries for 69 yards) ran touchdown runs of 66, 3 yards each and caught a pass of 37 yards from QB Jack Grantham (1 completion out of 1 attempt for 37 yards) Jamie Nichols 1 reception for 15 yards) scored on a 15 yard run Nahshon Hagen ran a interception for 25 yards for a touchdown Jack Henenberg (5 carries for 92) scored touchdown runs of 4, 1 and 73 yards. Mark Lindsay (9 carries for 73 yards) scored 2 touchdown runs of 31 and 14 yards.

Falbrook Head Football Coach Kyle Williams on the win vs. Orange Glen: "We played for a share of the league title tonight our kids were hungry after last weeks 21-0 win over San Pasqual, our squad played with great energy and toughness as they knew how to play together as a football team they came out tonight thinking it wasn't about the opponent it's all about us and we won 2 games in a row as I challenged our kids to be the storm." " Early in the game we had to take any hope out of their minds an tonight we did that by scoring on the second." "Our defense came up with 2 interceptions one of them went for a touchdown and we had a punt return down to the 1 yard line with lot of things that has set us up for the victory we were proud and happy for our guys like Josh Hennenberg, Gino Yslas, Michael Lindsay, those individuals don't carry the ball very much for us but they have a lot of expectations with the reserves in the game and I'm proud of their performance as in Parker Martin as he has contributed for us in the first half we're trying to not run the score up but had to slow things down in the second half we can't help it if we run basic plays but it is wonderful to get him back as he is a transfer from Alaska a huge spark plug for our football team he has done well for us."

"Our next opponent is Del Norte has defeated us 3 years in a row it has been very close games but I haven't seen them on film as of yet but will find out after I look at it on Saturday."

Orange Glen's 4-5 only touchdown came in he 4th quarter as quarterback Blaine Berry (5 completions out of 14 attempts for 115 yards) threw an 85 yard pass to Ty Dixon with the PAT good by Ray Poultsey.

15. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Adam Vance Sparks Golden West in win over Palomar
    --

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Chick Embry Field at Wilson Stadium-Escondido High School-Escondido, CA: In a key Southern California Football Conference showdown the Rustlers of Golden West College improve their record to 8-0 overall and 4-0 in conference play came back from a 21-21 tie as qb Adam Vance 16 completions out of 24 attempts for 335 yards threw 2 fourth quarter touchdown passes of 42 yards to Jordan Veasy (6 receptions for 168 yards) and 57 to Dennis Sansom (1 reception for 57 yards) as they defeated the Comets of Palomar College at 3-5 overall and 1-3 in the conference by a 34-21 score.

Other Rustler performers Johnny Hills 14 carries 24 scored touchdown run of 1 yard, qb Nick Stennard scored on 1 touchdown run of 1 yard and 1 completion out of 4 attempts for 27 threw 1 touchdown pass to Jordan Veasy for 27 yards.

Joe Early Palomar Head Football Coach on the defeat: “We had opportunities to score but didn’t take advantage of them, we had a turnover to start the third quarter, offensively we did a good job and came away with no points despite missing the field goal.” “The back breaker was that we had the ball which was on our back end which was the difference in the game but I like the effort in how our squad has played but it wasn’t good enough.” “Austin Early played well for us but we needed to clean up and correct but we will evaluate the kids as we watch the film tomorrow as will prepare for Fullerton College next Saturday.”

“Fullerton College is a physical strong football squad as they lost a tough game to Saddleback tonight but we host them at home which will be a challenge for us but we have to rise, adjust and adapt.”

For the Comets of Palomar, Daviante Sales carried the ball 18 times for 100 yards, Austin Early 35 completions out of 48 attempts for 353 threw 3 touchdown passes of 15 and 6 yards to Wayne Ganan (10 receptions for 106 yards) and connected to Lamont Chaney for 22 yards.

The Comets will host Fullerton College 5-4 overall and 2-3 in conference play at Escondido High School kickoff is at 1:00 pm

16. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-John Carroll Stadium-Oceanside High School-Oceanside, CA: Rob Beardsley dazzled the crowd with his passing ability as he recorded 8 completions out of 14 attempts for 198 yards and threw 2 touchdown passes of 27 yards to Roman Ivanovich and 74 yards to Taj Apodaca to pace the Pirates of Oceanside at 6-4 to a 29-7 win in the 108th meeting of this historic football rivalry.

Other Pirate performers: Anthony Martinez 5 carries for 62 yards scored touchdown runs of 2 yards Nico Mangio 15 carries for 85 yards scored a touchdown run of 1 yard and Jake Gerardi's 45 yard field goal for the other scores.

First year head coach Dave Rodriguez: "I'm proud of our kids and proud of this city the school and the alumni as everyone came out and watched a good incredible Pirate tradition give credit to an incredible coaching staff that put together an outstanding game plan which isn't easy to play El Camino as I give all my respect to Coach Roberts of El Camino and his staff in a well fought game and we came out on top." "We play for the Coach Herb Meyer trophy and we get to keep it for another 365 days hopefully we will keep it for another year, our defensive staff came up with a game plan they invaded our territory as I'm proud of our kids on a good performance." "QB Rob Beardsley threw 2 good passes today this is an expression of the play that we ran in practice but tonight the moment came and Rob made the correct read on a receiver as they made great catches with the ball as we expect them to and they did the play well." For the CIF playoffs we will find out tomorrow morning on the CIF website on who we might play either in the Open Division or go to Division I, I am proud of the Pirates to play in the football playoffs we had our ups and downs battled injuries and we played our rival El Camino tonight."

The Wildcats at 5-5 scored their only touchdown in the 4th quarter as Tami Tai threw a 33 yards to Dante Dreisbach with the PAT Good.

The Wildcats lead this series 61-43-4 ties.

17. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Date: Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    Subject: Purdue Grapplers Win Twice at Eastern Michigan Duals
    To:

Purdue Grapplers Win Twice at Eastern Michigan Duals

Chad Welch provided three wins with bonus points at 165

[​IMG]

Nov. 7, 2015

Results

#BoilerNotes
    • Purdue's win over Northern Illinois was its 20th in the series (20-8-1) ... Boilermakers extended their winning streak against Eastern Michigan to seven straight.
    • In three duals, Purdue combined for a 19-11 record ... Luke Welch (133) and Chad Welch (165) went 3-0, while Alex Griffin won both of his matches at 149.
    • Of the Boilermakers' 19 wins, four came by fall, two were major decisions, there was one technical fall and one injury default was received ... pins came from Tyler Kral (285), Tanner Lynde (184), Drake Stein (197) and C. Welch ... C. Welch and Jacob Morrissey (174) provided major decisions ... C. Welch contributed the technical fall, winning his first match of the season 15-0.
    • C. Welch posted three-straight bonus point victories (MD, TF, F) ... it's the first time in his career he's won three in a row with bonus points ... the pin was the 11th of his career and the tech fall was the fourth ... his 15-0 tech fall marked the third time in four career tech falls he shut his opponent out ... he totaled 14 back points, which is nearly half of his back point total a season ago.
    • Three of the 19 wins were upsets, two of which came in head-to-head matchups between ranked wrestlers ... the other was an unranked Purdue grappler sticking the nation's 13th-ranked 197-pounder.
    • Redshirt senior Drake Stein won his 12th career match by fall ... his dozen career pins are the most on Purdue's roster.
    • Redshirt freshman Ben Thornton (125) and true freshman Jon Morales (184) wrestled their first dual matches at Purdue ... Thornton won his first career match with a 4-1 decision.

YPSILANTI, Mich. -- The Purdue wrestling team won two of its three duals at the season-opening Eastern Michigan Duals in the Convocation Center on Saturday. The Boilermakers claimed seven weights in a 30-9 win over Northern Illinois in their first dual and closed the day by beating Eastern Michigan 30-13 powered behind three falls. They were tripped up 18-16 in their second dual in a comeback by Central Michigan.

Four-straight bouts with bonus points highlighted Purdue's win over Northern Illinois. After an injury default at 157, Chad Welch made quick work of Andrew Morse with a 15-0 technical fall in 3:04. C. Welch took the Huskie down off the first whistle and then tilted for three consecutive four-point nearfalls. An escape to start the second sealed the deal. Jacob Morrissey followed with a 14-6 major decision at 174 and Tanner Lynde (184) recorded the fastest fall of his career, sticking Quinton Rosser in a mere 1:13.

In their next dual against Central Michigan, the Boilermakers stormed out by claiming five of the first six contests and building a 16-3 lead. Among those wins was a 6-3 decision from No. 15 Danny Sabatello as he knocked off No. 11 Zach Horan at 141 pounds. Doug Welch, the 13th-ranked grappler at 157, scored the winning takedown with 16 seconds remaining on his way to a 2-1 upset of No. 9 Luke Smith. An 8-0 major decision ensued at 165 from C. Welch, but it was the Chippewa's from there on out.

Central Michigan won the next two weights by a combined three points and a 4:51 fall at 197 by Jackson Lewis brought CMU within a point at 16-15. A penalty point evened the 285 bout at 1-1 early in the third and Newton Smerchek managed to escape from Purdue's Tyler Kral for a 2-1 decision and ultimately the dual.

Purdue and Eastern Michigan were tied at 9-9 midway through, but the Boilermakers won four of the five upper weights with three of those wins coming by fall. C. Welch's impressive day culminated with a 2:43 stick of Derek Davison to put Purdue ahead 15-9. Morrissey put up a 6-5 decision at 174 and the Eagles claimed 184 with a major decision to narrow the gap to 18-13 with two weights to go.

At 197, Drake Stein was after No. 13 Anthony Abro from the first whistle. A throw by the redshirt senior that stunned the Eastern Michigan fans earned him six points to take a 6-3 lead into the second period. Stein escaped at the start of the second and threw Abro once again, this time straight to his back for a fall at 4:52 and his first-ever win over a ranked opponent.

Kral closed out the dual with a first-period pin of Gage Hutchison. The 2:49 fall came after the redshirt junior reversed the Eagle for the third pin of his career.

Purdue returns to dual competition Nov. 20 and 21 in a trip east to Pennsylvania for three opponents. The Boilermakers will wrestle at Bloomsburg, followed by NCAA Division II Shippensburg and Lock Haven on the Bald Eagles' home mat in Lock Haven.

--

Amanda C. Dahl

Purdue University

Assistant Athletics Communications Director

@PurdueWrestling, @PurdueMT, @PurdueWT

O 765.494.6235 | C 712.251.9271

18. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

--------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 3:30 PM
    Subject: @IlliniWrestling Sweeps EMU Duals
    To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Saturday, November 7, 2015

SID Contact: Chad Beyler (O: 217.300.1449; C: 217.493.3777 or beyler2@illinois.edu)

Link: fightingillini.com/news/2015/11/7/WREST_1107151954.aspx

FIGHTING ILLINI WRESTLING

@IlliniWrestling Sweeps EMU Duals

CHAMPAIGN, ILL. – The Fighting Illini began their 2015-16 campaign by dominating their three opponents at the Eastern Michigan Open. In the morning, the Orange and Blue pounced on Olivet College with a convincing 42-3 victory. The middle dual featured an Illini victory over Utah Valley 32-6. Coach Heffernan’s squad wrapped up the day with a 34-6 victory over Clarion. 157-pound defending national champion Isaiah Martinez paced the team with three technical falls today after leading the nation (11) last season.

"We looked decent but inconsistent in spots," said Coach Jim Heffernan. "It's very early so the errors we made and the inconsistencies that were there are all correctable. Steven looks great at his new weight, and is wrestling with a lot of energy. This will be a great weight class for him. [I thought] Francis completed hard and had chances to win two of his matches today. Andre looked a little tight today, but he will get that worked out. He's a competitive kid and will make adjustments. Both did some good things for this being their first time out."

The Illini kicked-off their season with a midmorning contest against Olivet College. Francis Edelen fell to Michael Schmidt by a score of 9-5. After falling behind 3-0, the veteran grapplers took over for Illinois. Zane Richards started things off with a fall (4:24) and Brock Ervin added on with a fall of his own (2:14), taking a 12-3 advantage. Starting with Langenderfer, the Illini rattled off four straight technical falls, including a 17-2 tech fall by Steven Rodrigues in his first bout at 165 pounds. Two decisions by Jeff Koepke and Andre Lee, and a major decision from Brooks Black wrapped up a 42-3 drubbing.

Jim Heffernan’s squad continued their day with a dual against Utah Valley. The Fighting Illini fell behind 3-0 again, but Zane Richards got the Illini on the board with a 14-4 major decision at 133 pounds. Brock Ervin and Kyle Langenderfer both grabbed three points for the Illini to extend the lead to 10-3. For the second dual in a row, Martinez dominated at 157 pounds, netting a 22-7 technical fall. Upperclassman once against sealed the Illini victory, as Steven Rodrigues, Zac Brunson, and Jeff Koepke combined for two major decisions and a tech fall. Black concluded the scoring with a 2-1 decision to give the team a 32-6 victory.

A late afternoon match against Clarion concluded the day for the Orange and Blue, another dual the Illini ran away with, winning X to X. Francis Edelen dropped a hard fought 7-6 decision at 125 pounds, but Richards quickly grabbed the lead with a 23-5 technical fall. Clarion’s Brock Zacherl gave the Golden Eagles another lead after 141 pounds when he took down Brock Ervin 3-1. The Illini responded in a big way to take control of the dual when Langenderfer and Martinez grabbed a fall and a technical fall, respectively. Rodrigues, Koepke, Lee and Black all added decisions, while Brunson completed his second fall of the day (2:54).

The Fighting Illini will make their home debut next Sunday when they host Southern Illinois Edwardsville and Arizona State as part of the Illini Duals on November 15 at noon.

#10 Illinois 42, Olivet College 3

125 – Michael Schmidt (Olivet) over Francis Edelen (Ill.) Dec 9-5

133 – #6 Zane Richards (Ill.) over Evan Hoshaw (Olivet) Fall 4:24

141 – Brock Ervin (Ill.) over Dean Roberts (Olivet) Fall 2:14

149 – Kyle Langenderfer (Ill.) over Austin Kelley (Olivet) TF 18-3

157 – #1 Isaiah Martinez (Ill.) over Ross Pennock (Olivet) TF 22-4

165 – Steven Rodrigues (Ill.) over Kevin Papak (Olivet) TF 17-2

174 – #6 Zac Brunson (Ill.) over Nicholas Affricano (Olivet) TF 16-0

184 – #17 Jeff Koepke (Ill.) over Rodney Harvey (Olivet) Dec 6-4

197 – Andre Lee (Ill.) over Thomas Hall (Olivet) Dec 6-3

285 – #14 Brooks Black (Ill.) over Youseff El-Sayed (Olivet) Maj 14-5

#10 Illinois 32, Utah Valley 6

125 - #13 Chasen Tolbert (UV) over Francis Edelen (Ill.) Dec 5-1

133 - #6 Zane Richards (Ill.) over Jade Rauser (UV) Maj 14-4

141 – Brock Ervin (Ill.) over Jarod Mayness (UV) Dec 12-6

149 – Kyle Langenderfer (Ill.) over Brayden Humphreys (UV) Dec 8-3

157 - #1 Isaiah Martinez (Ill.) over Raider Lofthouse (UV) TF 22-7

165 – Steven Rodrigues (Ill.) over Kieffer Taylor (UV) Maj 20-8

174 – #6 Zac Brunson (Ill.) over Ross Taylor (UV) Fall 4:57

184 – #17 Jeff Koepke (Ill.) over Will Sumner (UV) Maj 17-6

197 – Derek Thomas (UV) over Andre Lee (Ill.) Dec 5-2

285 – #14 Brooks Black (Ill.) over Dustin Dennison (UV) Dec 2-1

#10 Illinois 34, Clarion 6

125 – Patrick Dewitt (Clarion) over Francis Edelen (Ill.) Dec 7-6

133 – #6 Zane Richards over Mike Bartolo (Clarion) TF 23-5

141 – Brock Zacherl (Clarion) over Brock Ervin (Ill.) Dec 3-1

149 – Kyle Langenderfer (Ill.) over Jake Keller (Clarion) Fall 2:02

157 – #1 Isaiah Martinez (Ill.) over Morgan Way (Clarion) TF 22-7

165 – Steven Rodrigues (Ill.) over Evan Delong (Clarion) Dec 13-7

174 – #6 Zac Brunson (Ill.) over Michael Pavasko (Clarion) Fall 2:54

184 – #17 Jeff Kopeke (Ill.) over Dominic Rigous (Clarion) Dec 4-2

197 – Andre Lee (Ill.) over Dustin Conti (Clarion) Dec 7-4

285 - #14 Brooks Black (Ill.) over Evan Daley (Clarion) Dec 9-4

--
    [​IMG]
    Chad Beyler

Athletics Communication Intern
    Division of Intercollegiate Athletics | University of Illinois
    SID Contact: Men's & Women's Track/XC, Wrestling, Assistant Volleyball
    Office: 217-300-1449 | Cell: 217-493-3777
    beyler2@illinois.edu

19. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: SF State Athletics <noreply@collegiateathleticnews.com>
    Date: Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM
    Subject: Alnassiri and Gurrola Highlight "Grapple in the Plaza" for @SFSUwrestling
    To: dawvoice3@gmail.com

[​IMG]
    Alnassiri and Gurrola Highlight "Grapple in the Plaza" for @SFSUwrestling
    11/7/2015 | Wrestling
    SAN FRANCISCO --- Before a packed house in the Don Nasser Family Plaza, it was the NCAA Division I Cal Poly Mustangs (1-1) defeating the SF State Gators 29-8 in the First Annual "Grapple in the Plaza". This was the first ever outdoor dual meet held at SF State. The Gators captured victories from Sam Alnassiri and Jordan Gurrola at 285 and 125 respectively.

Xavier Johnson (1-1) put the Mustangs on the board first as he defeated the Gators' Tyson Kuahine (3-1) by 5-3 decision at 165. Johnson was down 3-1 heading into the final period and came back with three points (takedown, escape and riding time) to defeat Kuahine.

The Mustangs took a 6-0 lead as Sohrab Movahedi won by a 4-1 decision over SF State's Mike Marshall (2-3) at 174. Mitch Woods increased the visitors' lead to 9-0 with a 7-4 come-from-behind win over the Gators' Johnny Costa at 184. Costa was up 4-3 going into the third period, but Woods scored four points in the final period to earn the victory.

JT Goodwin won by fall at 6:35 over the Gators' Calvin Nicholls (0-1) at 197 to increase Cal Poly's lead to 15-0. Sam Alnassiri (1-0) put the hosts on the board with a 14-3 major decision victory at 285 over the Mustangs' Cortes Morales to cut the deficit to 15-4. Alnassiri had an 11-1 lead heading into the final period to cruise to the 14-3 victory.

At 125, the Gators' Brandon Vu (2-3) had a 5- 4 lead over Cal Poly's David Gonzales heading into the third period but the Mustang scored two takedowns to Vu's two escapes to take a 8-7 victory and increase the guests' lead to 18-4.

Jordan Gurrola (1-0) put the Gators back on the board with a 14-4 major decision at 133 over Cal Poly's Glenn Farina. The Gator junior had a 9-0 lead heading into the final period then had a takedown and two escapes to take a 14-4 victory. Heading into the final three matches of the afternoon, the Gators were down 18-8.

At 141, Colton Schilling won by a 19-0 technical fall late in the third period over the Gators' Jerry DeLaRosa (0-1) to increase Cal Poly's lead to 23-8.

In another close match at 149, it was Joshy Cortez taking a 5-0 decision over SF State's Dylan Furtado (0-1). The match was scoreless until the third period when Cortez racked up five points including two from a takedown as the Mustangs took a 26-8 lead heading into the final bout of the dual.

Colt Shorts won the final bout of the day by a slim 3-2 decision over the Gators' Alex Abono at 157. Shorts had a 1-0 lead heading into the third period. Abono (0-1) had two escapes in the final period but Shorts recorded a takedown to take the bout 3-2 and give the Mustangs the 29-8 non-conference dual.

SF State will return to the mat on Saturday, November 15 as the Gators will travel to Fresno, Calif., to participate in the Roadrunner Open at the Selland Arena. The Gators will return to dual meet action on Saturday, November 21 at 3pm in Gilroy, Calif., as they take on nationally ranked Old Dominion University at Gilroy High School.

MATCH SFSU-CP
    165 Xavier Johnson (CP) won by 5-3 dec. over Tyson Kuahine (SFState) 0-3
    174 Sohrab Movahedi (CP) won by 4-1 dec. over Mike Marshall (SFState) 0-6
    184 Mitch Woods (CP) won by 7-4 dec. over Johnny Costa (SFState) 0-9
    197 JT Goodwin (CP) won by fall (6:35) over Calvin Nicholls (SFState) 0-15
    285 Sam Alnassiri (SFState) won by 15-3 MD over Cortes Morales (CP) 4-15
    125 David Gonzales (CP) won by 9-7 dec. over Brandon Vu (SFState) 4-18
    133 Jordan Gurrola (SFState) won by 14-4 MD over Glenn Farina (CP) 8-18
    141 Colton Schilling (CP) won by 19-0 TF over Jerry DeLaRosa (SFState) 8-23
    149 Joshy Cortez (CP) won by 5-0 dec. over Dylan Furtado (SFState) 8-26
    157 Colt Shorts (CP) won by 3-2 dec. over Alex Abono (SFState) 8-29

About San Francisco State Athletics
    Gator Athletics has a proud tradition of competitive success within the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The department offers 12 intercollegiate sports programs: Baseball, Men's and Women's Basketball, Men's and Women's Cross Country, Men's and Women's Soccer, Softball, Women's Track & Field, Women's Volleyball and Men's Wrestling.

Gator Athletics places great emphasis on academic performance as well as athletic achievement. The program offers student athletes the opportunity to reach their educational goals, as well pursue meaningful athletic accomplishments. For more information, visit SF State Athletics' website, Twitter and Facebook pages.

Click here to unsubscribe from this newsletter.

[​IMG]

20. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

BOONE, N.C.—The CSU Bakersfield wrestling team took part in the App State Mountaineer Duals Saturday.

"We wrestled fairly well for our first competition," said CSUB head coach Mike Mendoza.

The Roadrunners opened the day with a 26-11 victory over Gardner-Webb. The dual began at 125 pounds where Sergio Mendez defeated Cortez Starkes 7-4 to give the Roadrunners a 3-0 lead. The Bulldogs’ Tyler Ziegler earned a 2-1 decision against Carlos Herrera to tie the dual.

Ian Nickell put the ‘Runners up for good with a tech fall (15-0) over Ryan Hull at 141. Coleman Hammond (149), AJ Fierro (157), Adam Fierro (165), and Bryce Hammond (174) won the next four matches for the Roadrunners. With CSU Bakersfield leading 21-3, Hunter Gamble’s technical fall over Dylan Bollinger at 184 pounds. Reuben Franklin earned a tech fall (20-5) at 197 over Gray Jones before Boyce Cornwell defeated Matt Williams 6-4 in overtime at heavyweight.

The Roadrunners defeated Anderson 51-0 in the middle dual of the day. CSUB received forfeit victories at 125, 141, and 197. Carlos Herrera (133), Coleman Hammond (149), Adam Fierro (165), and Bryan Battisto (174) won by tech fall. Williams won by pin at heavyweight. The 51 points are the most scored in a dual by the Roadrunners since Jan. 24, 2004 when CSUB defeated Portland State 54-0.

CSU Bakersfield dropped a 19-15 decision to App State in the final dual of the day. Mendez put the Roadrunners into the lead with an 8-6 victory against Vito Pasone. The Mountaineers tied the dual when Jacob Gregg defeated Carlos Herrera 3-2 in the 133-pound match.

App State took a 6-3 lead when Michael Longo handed Nickell a 6-2 defeat at 141. Coleman Hammond returned the lead to the Roadrunners when he posted a major decision (17-1) against Matt Zovistoski in the 149-pound bout. David Peters-Logue made it 9-8 in favor of the Apps with a 6-3 victory over AJ Fierro at 157.

Adam Fierro earned a 3-1 victory at 165 against Forrest Przybsz to give CSUB an 11-9 advantage. Nick Kee upset Bryce Hammond 6-3 at 174 before Taylor Jackson defeated Bollinger 8-2 in the 184-pound match. Franklin tied the match when earned a major decision (18-5) against Tyler Radford at 197. With the dual tied at 15, Denzel Dejournette defeated Williams via major decision (14-1) to earn the Mountaineers the victory, 19-15.

"The guys looked sharp," Mendoza said. "We knew that our last dual against App State would be a dogfight. It came down to the last match and they won."

The Roadrunners have a busy week ahead. On Saturday, CSUB will take part in “Take it Outside II” at California Baptist. The outdoor meet is set for 12 p.m. in Riverside. CSU Bakersfield will then travel to Fresno’s Selland Arena where CSUB hosts the fifth Roadrunner Open. The tournament begins at 10 a.m. CSUB hosts No. 1 Penn State Nov. 20 in the Icardo Center. Tickets are available at Vallitix.com.

~www.GoRunners.com~

CSU Bakersfield 26, Gardner-Webb 11
    125 Sergio Mendez (CSUB) def. Cortez Starkes, 7-4 3-0, CSUB
    133 Tyler Ziegler (GW) def. Carlos Herrera, 2-1 3-3
    141 Ian Nickell (CSUB) def. Ryan Hull via Tech Fall (15-0) 8-3, CSUB
    149 Coleman Hammond (CSUB), def. Ryan Mosley, 8-2 11-3, CSUB
    157 AJ Fierro (CSUB) def. Kyle Ash, 5-3 14-3, CSUB
    165 Adam Fierro (CSUB) def. Cole Graves, 13-0 18-3, CSUB
    174 Bryce Hammond (CSUB) def. Brett Stein, 6-2 21-3, CSUB
    184 Hunter Gamble (GW) def. Dylan Bollinger via Tech Fall (18-2) 21-8, CSUB
    197 Reuben Franklin (CSUB) def. Gray Jones via Tech Fall (20-5) 26-8, CSUB
    285 Boyce Cornwell (GW) def. Matt Williams, 6-4 (SV) 26-11, CSUB

CSU Bakersfield 51, Anderson 0
    125 Sergio Mendez (CSUB) wins by FF 6-0, CSUB
    133 Carlos Herrera (CSUB) def. Derek Bohle via Tech Fall (15-0) 11-0, CSUB
    141 Ian Nickell (CSUB) wins by FF 17-0, CSUB
    149 Coleman Hammond def. Dylan Crossland via Tech Fall (19-2) 22-0, CSUB
    157 AJ Fierro def. Daniel Ebert, 19-6 26-0, CSUB
    165 Adam Fierro def Jared Costa via Tech Fall (17-0) 31-0, CSUB
    174 Bryan Battisto def. Trevontay Rhodes via Tech Fall (20-3) 36-0, CSUB
    184 Dylan Bollinger def. Michael Gallagher, 7-3 39-0, CSUB
    197 Reuben Franklin wins by FF 45-0, CSUB
    285 Matt Williams pinned Ty Williams at 2:31 51-0, CSUB

App State 19, CSU Bakersfield 15
    125 Sergio Mendez (CSUB) def. Vito Pasone, 8-6 3-0, CSUB
    133 Jacob Grigg (AS) def. Carlos Herrera, 3-2 3-3
    141 Michael Longo (AS) def. Ian Nickell, 6-2 6-3, AS
    149 Coleman Hammond (CSUB) def. Matt Zovistoski, 17-1 8-6, CSUB
    157 David Peters-Logue (AS) def. AJ Fierro, 6-3 9-8, AS
    165 Adam Fierro (CSUB) def. Forrest Przybysz, 3-1 11-9, CSUB
    174 Nick Kee (AS) def. Bryce Hammond, 6-3 12-11, AS
    184 Taylor Jackson (AS) def. Dylan Bollinger, 8-2 15-11, AS
    197 Reuben Franklin (CSUB) def. Tyler Radford, 18-5 15-15
    Hwt Denzel Dejournette (CSUB) def. Matt Williams, 14-1 19-15, AS

Athletic Communications
    CSU Bakersfield
    9001 Stockdale Hwy
    Gym 08
    Bakersfield, CA 93311
    sid@csub.edu
    www.GoRunners.com
    Twitter--@csubathletics
    facebook.com/csubroadrunners

21. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Stanford Holds Off UTC

Wins the dual 19-16

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – Scoring bonus points in four of its five wins, the No. 24 Stanford wrestling team fended off Chattanooga, 19-16, Saturday, at Maclellan Gym in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The Cardinal improves to 2-0 on the season, while the Mocs drop to 0-1.

The dual started at 125 pounds, where redshirt freshman Brian Rossi posted a 4-3 come-from-behind win over Alonzo Allen. Trailing 3-1 heading into the final period, Rossi started the third in the down position. He cut the lead to 3-2 with an escape and then was about to secure the winning takedown. The Homer Glenn, Illinois native moves to 2-0 on the season.

The Mocs tied the team score at 3-3 as Chris Debien recorded an 8-3 decision over sophomore Mason Pengilly at 133 pounds.

Freshman Joey McKenna, ranked 12th nationally at 141 pounds, put the Cardinal back on top with a 10-2 major decision over Roman Boylen. He recorded a takedown 30 seconds into the opening period and led 2-1 after the first. He added an escape and a takedown in the second to push his lead to 5-1. Boylen chose to start the third in the neutral position, where McKenna was able to secure another takedown. After Boylen escaped, McKenna notched his final takedown and ended the match on top, picking up riding time. He is now 2-0 on the year.

Chattanooga’s Michael Pongracz cut the Stanford lead to 7-6 with a 4-2 sudden-victory decision over redshirt sophomore Tommy Pawelski at 149 pounds.

Redshirt juniors Maxwell Hvolbek (157 pounds) and Jim Wilson (165 pounds) and redshirt sophomore Keaton Subjeck all turned in major-decision wins to make the dual score 19-6 in favor of the Cardinal.

Leading 6-2 after the first, Hvolbek chose to start the second in the down position. After recording an escape against Chattanooga’s Andrew Webb, Hvolbek got another takedown and scored two near fall points to push his lead to 11-2. Webb chose to start the third in the neutral position, where Hvolbek was able to tally another takedown and collect riding time for the major decision. He moves to 2-0 on the season.

Wilson, ranked fourth nationally, posted a 20-7 major decision over Dominic Lampe at 165 pounds. The Lodi, California native recorded five takedowns, a reversal, six near fall points, an escape and riding time in the win. Wilson improves to 2-0 on the year and 71-15 in his career.

Subjeck capped-off the Cardinal scoring with a 14-4 major decision over Chattanooga’s Sean Mappes at 174 pounds. With a 4-2 lead going into the second, Subjeck tallied another takedown and two near fall points to increase his lead to 8-3. He opened the third with an escape and secured two more takedowns and riding time to seal the win. Subjeck moves to 2-0 on the season.

The Mocs had a chance to tied up the dual after John Lampe posted a 17-6 major decision over redshirt junior Ryan Davies at 184 pounds and No. 14 Scottie Boykin added an 8-3 decision over redshirt senior Michael Sojka at 197 pounds.

In the battle between ranked wrestlers at heavyweight, UTC’s Jared Johnson (No. 20) pulled out a 4-2 decision over redshirt sophomore Nathan Butler (No. 13). However, it wasn’t enough for the Mocs as the Cardinal held on for the win.

Stanford wraps-up its road trip at the Hokie Open in Blacksburg, Virginia on Sunday, Nov. 8.

#gostanford

No. 24 Stanford 19 – Chattanooga 16
    125: Brian Rossi (Stanford) – Dec. 4-3 - Alonzo Allen (UTC) – Stanford 3-0
    133: Chris Debien (UTC) – Dec. 8-3 - Mason Pengilly (Stanford) – Tied 3-3
    141: No. 12 Joey McKenna (Stanford) – MD 10-2 - Roman Boylen (UTC) - Stanford 7-3
    149: Michael Pongracz (UTC) – SV1 4-2 - Tommy Pawelski (Stanford) – Stanford 7-6
    157: Maxwell Hvolbek (Stanford) – MD 14-2 - Andrew Webb (UTC) – Stanford 11-6
    165: No. 4 Jim Wilson (Stanford) – MD 20-7 - Dominic Lampe (UTC) – Stanford 15-6
    174: Keaton Subjeck (Stanford) – MD 14-4 - Sean Mappes (UTC) – Stanford 19-6
    184: John Lampe (UTC) – MD 17-6 - Ryan Davies (Stanford) – Stanford 19-10
    197: No. 14 Scottie Boykin (UTC) – Dec. 8-3 - Michael Sojka (Stanford) – Stanford 19-13
    285: No. 20 Jared Johnson (UTC) – Dec. 4-2 - No. 13 Nathan Butler (Stanford) – 19-16

Regina Verlengiere

Assistant Director, Athletics Communications

Women's Volleyball, Wrestling, Men's Volleyball

641 E. Campus Dr.

Stanford, CA 94305

650-723-0996 (O)

22. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

SIX HOOSIERS TAKE PODIUM FINISHES AT EMU OPEN
    Three of Indiana's true freshmen earned top-three finishes in the Hoosiers' first competition of the season
    Bracket Results (PDF)
    November 7, 2015
    YPSILANTI, Mich. –
    The Indiana wrestling team opened the 2015-16 season on Saturday with their first open tournament, the EMU Open hosted by Eastern Michigan University. Indiana's 22 entrants displayed a strong showing, which included top-three finishes for three of IU's freshmen.

"I felt like there were a lot of bright spots, a young guys performing well," Indiana head coach Duane Goldman said in his opening remarks. "It gave us a lot to work with and work on, and we hope to make some improvements going forward. We're still trying to shape our team, and this tournament gave us some looks at different weight classes."

Eastern Michigan Open | Saturday, November 7, 2015

Hoosier Podium Finishes:
    Elijah Oliver – 125 lbs. – 2nd Place
    Devin Skatzka – 165 lbs. – 2nd Place
    Nate Jackson – 174 lbs. – 2nd Place
    Norman Conley – 174 lbs. – 3rd Place
    Cole Weaver – 141 lbs. – 7th Place
    Garret Goldman – HWT – 7th Place

First among Indiana's tournament finalists was freshman Elijah Oliver (125). Oliver opened his collegiate career with a dominating run to the final match, recording three major decisions in his first three bouts. Oliver's tournament run came to an end in the championship, where he lost a narrow 5-2 decision to Noah Gonser (Eastern Michigan).

"He looked good, but he got a little tired as the day went on," Goldman said. "I think he could have performed better in the championship, but he lost a close bout. It was a great performance for a freshman in his first collegiate competition."

Devin Skatzka (165) was another freshman with a finals run in his first tournament as a Hoosier. Skatzka opened his day with a pin in 5:42 over Zebulan Beam (Ashland), followed by an 11-3 major decisison over Alonzo Turner (Findlay). In the quarterfinals, Skatzka recorded his second pin of the day in 1:43 against Seth Williams (Ohio State), then won a 14-9 decision in the semifinals. Skatzka took second place after dropping a decision to Logan Massa (Michigan).

No. 15/17 Nate Jackson (174) returns from a sophomore season in which he qualified for the NCAA Wrestling Championships. He begins his junior year with a second-place finish at the EMU open. Jackson won his first round match, 7-0, over Domenic Prezzia (Ohio State), and then followed with a 15-7 major decision over Dean Sherry (Rider). Jackson continued his campaign through the quarterfinals and semifinals with an 11-4 decision and a pin in 4:45 to advance to the championship. Jackson battled hard in his final match, but lost a tight 7-5 decision to Myles Martin (Ohio State).

Jackson's loss in the final wasn't the result he hoped for, but his coach believes that it was a good opportunity to take his mental toughness to the next level.

"He just needs to be more resilient in that adversity," Goldman said, referring to a penalty called against Jackson in the championship bout. "Things don't always go the way you expect them to go, and you need to find the success in spite of it. Hopefully, this will be a learning experience for him for his next time out."

Norman Conley (174) was one of the highlights of the day for the Indiana wrestling team. Conley, a walk-on freshman for the Hoosiers this season, battled his way to a 4-1 tournament record and a third place finish as an unattached contestant. Conley won 3-2, 11-6, and 4-2 decisions on his way to the semifinals, where he lost to Myles Martin (Ohio State). He finished his day with a win in the third place match for his first podium of his collegiate career.

"Buddy did a great job. He's a walk-on for us, but he's a really hard worker," Goldman said. "He's been a great addition to our room, and we were pleasantly surprised to see him compete this well in his first time out."

The Hoosiers had strong performances from seventh-place finishers Cole Weaver (141) and Garret Goldman (HWT). Weaver won his first two bouts, then dropped his quarterfinal match in a close 6-3 decision. He finished strongly with two wins, including a 6-3 decision over Nate Hagan (Edinboro) for seventh. Goldman won his first two rounds as well, then lost in the quarterfinals to enter the consolation bracket. The Bloomington native concluded the day on a positive note with two more wins, including a decision over Caleb Gossett (Northern Illinois) in his final match of the day.

Other notable performances for Indiana include Bryce Martin (165), who went 3-2 on the day and recorded a tech fall in his third match. Trevor Moody (149) and Alonzo Shepard (125) both went 3-2 and earned a major decision. Freshman Garrett Pepple wrestled unattached and went 3-2 in his first collegiate tournament, including one pin and two major decisions. Pepple also faced his first nationally-ranked competition in a second round bout against No. 5/No. 7 Johnni DiJulius (Ohio State).

Pepple's performance stood out to coach Goldman. The freshman is making a major weight transition in his first year in the college ranks. In high school, Pepple wrestled in a weight class 20 pounds lighter than his current class.

"Pepple did a really nice job, going 3-2 on a day that included wrestling against the fifth-ranked man in his weight class," Goldman said. "He's still trying to grow into that weight class. In high school, he wrestled at 113, and now he's up to 133."

The Hoosiers had an impressive outing as a team in their first tournament play of the season. Although there is no official team score, Indiana ranked second in total points (511), behind only defending NCAA Champions Ohio State. Their winning percentage of .565 was sixth amongst all teams (min. 30 matches), and they ranked sixth in total pins and tech falls.

"We find that encouraging," coach Goldman said after hearing their statistical rankings for the first time. "It shows that we're out there competing with everyone at this early stage in the season."

Up Next: Keystone Classic | November 22 | Philadelphia, Pa. | The Palestra

The Hoosiers have two full weeks to train and prepare for their next tournament, the Keystone Classic, hosted by the University of Pennsylvania. The Keystone Classic features entrants from 12 universities, including Big Ten foe Northwestern. Tickets and other tournament info can be found here.

--
    Nick Reith
    Media Relations Assistant
    Indiana University Athletics
    Primary Contact: Field Hockey,
    Wrestling, Water Polo
    C: 317-371-6079
    Email: nbreith@indiana.edu

[​IMG]

23. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

rom: Basford, Michael <basford.16@osu.edu>
    Date: Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 6:55 AM
    Subject: WR: Seven Champions Crowned at Eastern Michigan Open
    To:

November 8, 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ohio State wrestling contact:
    Mike Basford / basford.16@osu.edu WR: Seven Champions Crowned at Eastern Michigan OpenThree finals feature Buckeye vs. Buckeye

RELATED INFO: Full Ohio State results | 2015-16 Schedule | 2015-16 Roster | Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The season-opening Eastern Michigan Open was full of Scarlet and Gray on Saturday, as seven Buckeyes were crowned champions, three finished in second place, one was a third-place finisher and one came in fifth.

The list of Ohio State champions was led by seniors Johnni DiJulius and Mark Martin, but followed closely by a young group of Buckeyes that are quickly turning heads. Four of the seven champions were either freshmen or redshirt freshmen, namely Micah Jordan (redshirt freshman), Cody Burcher (redshirt freshman), Jake Ryan (redshirt freshman) and Myles Martin (true freshman). Nick Tavanello also took home the 285 lb. championship with a win over teammate Thomas Haines.

Runner-ups for the Buckeyes included Haynes, true freshman Ke-Shawn Hayes and Kollin Moore, also a true freshman. Additionally, Kenny Courts was third and Matthew O’Hara finished fifth.

“A strong start to the season,” said head coach Tom Ryan. “I think our overall depth was what stood out. The environment in the room right now is exactly what a man needs to really grow and learn. We must continue to learn and grow as we gear up for more challenging competition.”

DiJulius (133 lbs.), a redshirt senior who three time previously has qualified for the NCAA Tournament, started out his final season with four wins, giving him 101 in his career. All of his victories were by decision, the final one coming over Anthony Tutolo of Kent State in the championship match.

Jordan, a four-time Ohio State high school state champion who was 31-3 last year in open tournaments while redshirting, was dominant at 141 lbs. in his run to the title, picking up three pins and a tech fall before winning the championship match by medical default of fellow Buckeye Hayes. His fastest fall came in 4:06 over Malik Amine of Michigan.

Burcher, who wrestled in 18 matches during open tournaments last year, was the 149 lb. champion thanks to an overtime victory in the semifinals (7-5) over Austin Thompson and Michigan State and then a tight 3-1 decision over Isaac Reinemann of Illinois in the finals. Burcher also picked up a fall (1:58) and major decision on the day, winning a total of six matches.

Ryan, at 157 lbs., also won six matches on Saturday, three via bonus points. His preliminary round match was a tech fall (16-1), followed by a decision in the first round, major decision in the second round, technical fall in the quarterfinals and decisions in both the semifinals and finals. Ryan ousted Carver James of Illinois in the finals, 12-6.

Martin, one of the top-ranked recruits nationally last year, won five matches at 174 lbs. and looked good doing it, picking up a tech fall in the opening round, fall in the quarterfinals, major decision in the semifinals and then gutting out a 7-5 decision over Nate Jackson of Indiana in the finals.

Mark Martin (184 lbs.), a senior, was 4-0 on the day and won all four of his matches via bonus points. Tech falls in the first and second round sent him into the quarterfinals where he then picked up a 12-3 major decision over Dominic Carfagno of Bloomsburg. In the semifinals, he racked up 13 points for a major decision over Jimmy Szep of Central Michigan. Martin won by medical forfeit over fellow Buckeye Moore in the finals.

Tavanello (285 lbs.), a NCAA at-large selection last year who missed a large portion of the season due to injury, looked to be in good form as he won his opening round match by technical fall (16-1) and then pinned Rider’s Mike Siwiec in just 1:27 to move into the quarterfinals. From there, he won by major decision over Terrence Cheeks of Edinboro, by fall over Jacob Aven of Purdue in the semifinals and completed his day by edging fellow Buckeyes Haines in the finals, 5-3.

The home dual match schedule for the 2015-16 Buckeyes gets underway on Friday when No. 5 Ohio State hosts Virginia. Prior to the match, the team will unveil championship banners for Logan Stieber and Nathan Tomasello as well as the 2015 NCAA team national championship.

EASTERN MICHIGAN OPENSaturday, Nov. 7, 2015
    Ohio State Highlights

Champions: DiJulius (133), M. Jordan (141), Burcher (149), Ryan (157), Myles Martin (174), Mark Martin (184), Tavanello (285).
    Second Place: Hayes (141), Haines (285), Moore (197).
    Third Place: Courts (184)
    Fifth: O’Hara (197)

Buckeye vs. Buckeye finals: 141 lbs., 285 lbs., 197 lbs.

#GoBucks#

MIKEBASFORD

Assistant Director | Ohio State Athletics Communications

Fawcett Center 6th floor | 2400 Olentangy River Rd. | Columbus, OH 43210

O 614.292.0134

C 908.892.8951

F 614.292.8547

basford.16@osu.edutwitter.com/MikeBasford_OSU

OhioStateBuckeyes.com

THE PEOPLE. THE TRADITION. THE EXCELLENCE.

[​IMG]

24. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Athletic Communications

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Molly Sweeney (215) 895-2084

November 8, 2015

Wrestling Downs Campbell, Falls to West Virginia, Arizona State in Season Opener

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - The Drexel wrestling team earned its first dual win of the season with a 21-15 victory over Campbell on Sunday at the Mountaineer Duals hosted by West Virginia. The Dragons won one of the three duals of which they participated in the quad, falling to the hosting Mountaineers, 26-7 and to Arizona State, 27-6 in the other two. No. 17 Matthew Cimato led the Dragons with three wins on the day, including a major decision against West Virginia's Jake S. Smith.

In the first dual of the day, the Dragons went down 6-0 to start but then No. 10 Kevin Devoy Jr. got Drexel on the board with an 8-3 decision in the 141 match over West Virginia's Tony DeAngelo. Cimato then followed with his major decision at 149 to put the Dragons ahead, 7-6. Despite having this advantage almost halfway through the dual, the Mountaineers would win out the remaining matches to earn a 26-7 victory over the Dragons.

Arizona State jumped out to an early 10-0 lead in the Dragons' second dual, but then Cimato scored yet again for the Dragons with a 3-2 decision over the Sun Devils' Matt Kraus. Later, trailing 17-3, Nick Elmer got a win for Drexel with a 6-3 victory over Zachary Smith in the 174 pound match. At 184, Stephen Loiseau came close to upsetting the No. 3-ranked Blake Stauffer, but was edged by a 4-3 deficit. The Sun Devils would earn wins in the 197 and 285 matches as well to secure a 27-6 win.

While Campbell jumped out to a quick 9-0 advantage in the Dragons' final dual of the day, freshman Anthony Canfora started a comeback with his first career win, a 9-8 decision over the Camels' Zack Barker in the 141 match. Cimato followed with an 8-5 win over Quentin Perez at 149 and Richard Viruet added a 7-1 decision over Daniel Richardson at 157 to tie things up at 9-9. While Campbell's Paul Duggan took the 165 match with a 5-2 victory over Austin Rose, Nick Elmer, Loiseau, and Joshua Murphy combined for three major decisions in a row at 174, 184, and 197 respectively to ultimately secure Drexel's first victory of the season.

The Dragons return to action on Friday, Nov. 13 when they travel to California to take on Cal Poly in a dual scheduled for 7 p.m. (PST). Drexel will then compete in the Road Runner Open in Fresno, Calif. on Sunday, Nov. 15.

West Virginia (WVU) 26, Drexel (DU) 7
    125: No. 4 Zeke Moisey (WVU) DEC Zack Fuentes (DU), 5-3
    133: Cory Stainbrook (WVU) DEC Franco Ferraina (DU), 7-4
    141: No. 10 Kevin Devoy Jr. (DU) DEC Tony DeAngelo (WVU), 8-3
    149: No. 17 Matthew Cimato (DU) MAJ Jake S. Smith (WVU), 17-7
    157: No. 18 Dylan Cottrell (WVU) MAJ Richard Viruet (DU), 10-2
    165: Ross Renzi (WVU) DEC Austin Rose (DU), 4-1
    174: Parker VonEgidy (WVU) MAJ Nick Elmer (DU), 9-1
    184: Bubba Scheffel (WVU) DEC Stephen Loiseau (DU), 2-1
    197: No. 10 Jacob A. Smith (WVU) DEC Joshua Murphy (DU), 10-4
    285: A.J. Vizcarrondo (WVU) DEC Joey Goodhart (DU), 2-1

Arizona State (ASU) 27, Drexel (DU) 6
    125: Mikel Perales (ASU) DEC Zack Fuentes (DU), 8-3
    133: Dalton Brady (ASU) MAJ Franco Ferraina (DU), 15-3
    141: Robbie Mathers (ASU) DEC No. 10 Kevin Devoy Jr. (DU), 9-5
    149: No. 17 Matthew Cimato (DU) DEC Matt Kraus (ASU), 3-2
    157: Oliver Pierce (ASU) DEC Mike Comunale (DU), 7-2 (SV-1)
    165: Jacen Petersen (ASU) MAJ Austin Rose (DU), 13-5
    174: Nick Elmer (DU) DEC Zachary Smith (ASU), 6-3
    184: No. 3 Blake Stauffer (ASU) DEC Stephen Loiseau (DU), 4-3
    197: Josh DaSilveira (ASU) MAJ Nezar Haddad (DU), 16-3
    285: Tanner Hall (ASU) DEC Joey Goodhart (DU), 7-2

Drexel (DU) 21, Campbell (CU) 15
    125: Tyler Walker (CU) MAJ Zack Fuentes (DU), 11-2
    133: No. 18 Nathan Kraisser (CU) TF Franco Ferraina (DU), 24-3
    141: Anthony Canfora (DU) DEC Zack Barker (CU), 9-8
    149: No. 17 Matthew Cimato (DU) DEC Quentin Perez (CU), 8-5
    157: Richard Viruet (DU) DEC Daniel Richardson (CU), 7-1
    165: Paul Duggan (CU) DEC Austin Rose (DU), 5-2
    174: Nick Elmer (DU) MAJ Matthew Olauson (CU), 16-4
    184: Stephen Loiseau (DU) MAJ Ville Heino (CU), 12-0
    197: Joshua Murphy (DU) MAJ Anthony Brownridge (CU), 12-4
    285: Jere Heino (CU) DEC Alex Foley (DU), 8-2

-DU-

---

Molly Sweeney

Assistant Director of Athletic Communications

Department of Athletics

Drexel University

3141 Chestnut Street

Philadelphia, PA 19104

Tel: 215.895.2084

drexeldragons.com

I AM A DRAGON!

25. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Date: Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM
    Subject: Gajdzik Leads Harvard Wrestling with Second-Place Finish at Binghamton Open
    To:

Gajdzik Leads Harvard Wrestling with Second-Place Finish at Binghamton Open

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – Junior Nicholas Gajdzik won four matches en route to a second-place finish in the heavyweight bracket to pace the Harvard wrestling team at the season-opening Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat (Binghamton Open) Open Sunday.Gajdizk, who had a bye in the first round, pinned Princeton’s Cole Lampman at 1:29 before earning a 6-2 decision vs. Army’s Trevor Smith in the quarterfinals. With a place in the championship on the line, Gajdzik picked up a sudden-victory, 3-1, against Mike Markulec of Princeton in the semifinals. In the final round, Gadjzik’s run came to a close, falling to Hofstra’s Mike Hughes, 6-0.

Jeff Ott, Todd Preston and Devon Gobbo all reached the semifinals of their respective weight classes. Ott, a freshman at 133, reached the semifinal stage with three consecutive decisions, including a 6-2 victory over Peter Lipari of Rutgers, and an 9-5 win over Navy’s Zach Davis.

Preston, a senior co-captain at 141 pounds, claimed three victories to open the tournament, capped by a 4-3 decision over Alfred Bannister of Maryland, before losing in the semifinal round. At 165 pounds, Gobbo picked up three decisions, including a 6-2 victory in his favor against Cornell’s Dillon Artigliere. In the semifinal bout, Gobbo was narrowly defeated by Geno Morelli, 7-6, of Penn State.

Other multiple winners included Samuel Goldman at 133, Nicholas Stager who reached the quarterfinals at 157, Colby Knight at 157, Josef Johnson and Colton Peppelman at 174, Michael Mocco at 184 and Josh Popple at 197.The Crimson will be back in action in two weeks at the Keystone Classic in Philadelphia Sunday, Nov. 22.

Tim Williamson

Associate Director of Athletics/Athletic Communications

Harvard University

Murr Center

65 North Harvard Street

Boston, MA 02163

(617) 495-2206

GoCrimson.com
    @HarvardCrimson
    @HarvardSID

26. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Badgers silence UW-Whitewater in season-opening meet
    UW won, 43-0, picking up bonus points in six matches
    On the web: http://go.wisc.edu/zj8zt0

MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin wrestling team kicked off the 2015-16 season with a bang, Thursday, at the UW Field House, as the Badgers defeated in-state foe UW-Whitewater by a score of 43-0.

En route to a lopsided victory, the Badgers picked up bonus points in six of the 10 matches.

Johnny Jimenez set the tone early, pinning Logan Hanselman 4:41 into the 125-pound match. At the time of the fall Jimenez led 6-0 thanks to two takedowns and a two-point nearfall.

Jens Lentz rivaled Jimenez's performance with a 16-5 major decision in the 133-pound match. He scored the first five points before surrendering one point to Brandon Peshek by escape. Lentz went on to outscore Peshek, 11-4, to finish out the match.

"It feels good getting out there for the first dual of the year—getting my takedowns and riding tough on top," Jimenez said.

"I had a lot of fun out there."

The 141-pound matchup proved to be the most competitive, as Luke Rowh needed a sudden victory period to defeat NCAA Division III All-American and national runner-up Matthew Adcock.

Rowh got out to a two-point lead before Adcock responded with two escapes to knot the score at two after the second period. There was no scoring in the third period.

Coming out aggressive in overtime, Rowh needed just 11 seconds to finish off Adcock with a takedown.

"It was a close match," Rowh said. "I knew it was going to be within a couple of points. I wrestled him (Adcock) last year and it was a close match. I ended up scoring early and didn't score until late but I'm just happy I won."

Andrew Crone extended the Badgers' lead to 19-0 with a pin in the second period of the 149-pound match against Isaiah Vela. The Delafield, Wisconsin, native was up, 5-0, at the time of the fall.

The 157-pound tussle featured TJ Ruschell and Brandon Arteaga. Ruschell registered two takedowns and a two-point nearfall, while giving up an escape to lead, 6-1, after three minutes on the mat.

The junior escaped the hold of Arteaga in the third period to win, 7-1.

Seth Liegel faced off against Thomas Gerszewski at 165 pounds. Gerszewski had the most wins for UWW last season, posting a 33-9 record and taking the WIAC championship at 157 pounds.

Liegel had no problem with the conference champion, though, as he went up, 2-0, early on and never looked back. The Spring Green, Wisconsin, product won by a score of 10-3.

With Isaac Jordan and Ryan Taylor not participating, Ricky Robertson was the Badgers' only ranked wrestler competing. He comes in at No. 10 on both FloWrestling and InterMat's top-20 rankings.

In the 174-pound matchup, Robertson allowed Connor Price to score just three points, as the sophomore won, 8-3.

Jake Stilling picked up Wisconsin's third pin of the night, defeating Christian Dischler at 184 pounds. The fall occurred in the second round with Stilling leading, 14-0.

Eric Peissig held Bowen Wileman scoreless until the third period in the 197-pound match, winning by major decision, 9-1.

Wrapping up the meet, Broth Horwath won, 16-0, by technical fall over Jordan Festege in the heavyweight scrap. In all, Horwath gathered two takedowns, two two-point nearfalls, two four-point nearfalls and two stalling points.

The Badgers are now 6-0 all-time against Whitewater, dating back to the schools' first meeting in 1968-69.

Wisconsin will take a break from team competition until Nov. 21 when it takes part in the Navy Classic, but select wrestlers will compete in the Michigan State Open on Sunday at Jenison Fieldhouse in East Lansing, Michigan. The event will include up to 250 participants.

"I'm ready for some more competition and the opportunity to keep battling out there with my brothers," Jimenez said. "We have a lot of good competition coming up this weekend (at the MSU Open) so this (tonight's meet) was just a little preview of what we're all about."

27. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Athletic Communications

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Molly Sweeney (215) 895-2084

November 13, 2015

Wrestling Earns 28-12 Victory Over Cal Poly

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The Drexel wrestling team earned a 28-12 victory over Cal Poly in dual action on Friday night to kick off action its brief west coast trip. Matthew Cimato, who is currently ranked 14th in the nation at 149 pounds by WrestlingReport earned a technical fall, while No. 22 Kevin Devoy Jr. and Zack Fuentes added major decisions at 141 and 125 respectively in the winning effort.

The night started off with Fuentes' major decision, which put the Dragons ahead, 4-0 early. The Mustangs were able to get on the board in the 133 pound match as Jason Delacruz edged out Franco Ferraina in the first sudden victory period. Devoy came up next and extended the Dragons' lead to 8-3 and then Cimato's tech fall made it a 13-3 Drexel advantage.

While Cal Poly would pick up three points with a decision at 157, Austin Rose, Nick Elmer, and Stephen Loiseau won three consecutive matches for the Dragons to create a 22-6 lead over the Mustangs. Despite a late pin from JT Goodwin at 197 pounds to double its team score, Cal Poly would not be able to overcome the deficit the Dragons had created.

With the victory, the Dragons improve to 2-2 in dual competition. Cal Poly moves to 1-2 on the season.

Drexel returns to action when members of the squad will compete in the Road Runner Open in Fresno, Calif. to close out the west coast road-trip. Competition at the tournament is expected to begin at 9 a.m. Pacific time/noon Eastern.

Drexel (DU) 28, Cal Poly (CP) 12
    125: Zack Fuentes (DU) MAJ David Gonzalez (CP), 8-0
    133: Jason Delacruz (CP) DEC Franco Ferraina (DU), 4-2 (SV-1)
    141: No. 22 Kevin Devoy Jr. (DU) MAJ Colton Schilling (CP), 13-2
    149: No. 14 Matthew Cimato (DU) TF Joshua Cortez (CP), 21-3
    157: Colt Shorts (CP) DEC Richard Viruet (DU), 8-4
    165: Austin Rose (DU) DEC Xavier Johnson (CP), 6-1
    174: Nick Elmer (DU) DEC Sohrab Movahedi (CP), 3-2
    184: Stephen Loiseau (DU) DEC Mitchell Woods (CP), 8-4
    197: JT Goodwin (CP) WBF Joshua Murphy (DU) @ 1:32
    285: Joey Goodhart (DU) wins by forfeit

28. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Rodriguez, Marcus A Civ USAF USAFA USAFA/ADIM <Marcus.Rodriguez@usafa.edu> wrote:

USAFA, Colo. – Air Force wrestling concluded its Big 12 Conference and dual slate opener with a 22-16 loss to the Cowboys of Wyoming, Friday night in Clune Arena. Air Force would pick up five of the 10 bouts but ultimately fall short with Wyoming earning falls in the 141 and 285 classes.

Freshman Alex Lopouchanski led the Falcons with an 11-1 major decision over Chaz Polson in the 165 class.

Other Falcons earning decision wins on the night were John Twomey (6-2), Jerry McGinty (6-4), Anthony McLaughlin (7-4) and Parker Hines (5-4).

The Falcons head eastfor a pair of dual matches on Nov. 21, 2015 against the University ofWisconsin(La Crosse) and #21 Minnesota.The Falcons will also send wrestlers to the Holiday Inn Open in Kearney, Nebraska, the same weekend. Live stats will be available for the matches via Flowrestling.com.

Air Force vs. Wyoming dual results:

Nov. 13 –Wyoming 22, Air Force 16

125: Drew Templman (UW) Dec Drew Romero, 8-1, 0-3

133: John Twomey (AF) Dec Gunnar Woodburn , 6-2, 3-3

141: Cole Meredith (UW) Fall David Walker, 1:27, 3-9

149: Jerry McGinty (AF) Dec Austin Breckenridge, 6-4, 6-9

157: Archie Colgan (UW) Dec Zach Stepan, 6-5, 6-12

165: Alex Lopouchanski (AF) MD Chaz Polson, 11-1, 10-12

174: Ben Stroh (UW) Dec Michael Billingsley, 12-3, 10-16

184: Anthony McLaughlin (AF) Dec Jace Jensen, 7-4, 13-16

197: Parker Hines (AF) Dec Brandon Tribble, 5-4, 16-16

285: Tanner Harms (UW) Fall Marcus Malecek, 0:57, 22-16

29. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Mike Basford / basford.16@osu.edu WR: No. 5 Ohio State Rolls Past No. 23 Virginia, 34-6Buckeyes win eight of 10 matches, five via bonus points

RELATED INFO: Online Release | WATCH: Highlights | WATCH: Coach Ryan interview | 2015-16 Schedule | 2015-16 Roster | Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

COLUMBUS, Ohio – New faces, same results for the fifth-ranked Ohio State wrestling team. On a night when the Buckeyes honored their 2014-15 Big Ten and national championship team with the unveiling of four new banners from the rafters of St. John Arena, wins by three newcomers to the starting lineup keyed a 34-6 rout of No. 23 Virginia.

Three redshirt freshmen – Micah Jordan, Cody Burcher and Jake Ryan – won consecutive matches to open a 20-0 lead after five bouts and Ohio State (1-0) never looked back. Jordan and Burcher won in dominant fashion, while Ryan came from behind with a last-second takedown to upset 19th-ranked Andrew Atkinson at 157 lbs.

Prior to the match, the program officially unveiled new banners commemorating individual national championships from Nathan Tomasello and Logan Stieber along the team Big Ten and NCAA titles. Tomasello then got the match started with a 14-6 major decision over Nick Hermann in which he had three first period takedowns to jump out to a 7-3 lead. In the second period, he racked up four more points with two takedowns and led 11-5 entering the third period.

Johnni DiJulius, ranked fifth nationally, followed that up with a dramatic 8-7 win over 10th-ranked George DiCamillo. Trailing 5-2 late in the third period, DiJulius fought back to cut the deficit to 5-4 on a takedown and then scored four near-fall points with just over 1:00 remaining. A staling point for UVA and riding time made the final 8-7, but for DiJulius it was his fifth win of the season and 102nd in his career.

Micah Jordan scored early and often in his St. John Arena debut, getting four takedowns and an escape in the first period to jump out to a 9-4 lead over UVA’s Zach Watson. An escape, takedown and two-point near fall in the second made the score 14-5 and Jordan cruised to the major decision from there.

Burcher got the crowd on its feet with his fall over TJ Miller at the 4:06 mark of the match. A native of Gnadenhutten, Ohio, Burcher improves to 7-0 on the year. He led the match 4-2 at the time of his pin.

With the Buckeyes ahead 17-0, Ryan scored one of the most exciting wins of the night when he overcame a late 1-0 deficit but getting an escape and then finishing a takedown with just four seconds remaining in the third period. Ryan’s win, his first this year over a ranked opponent, improves his record to year to 7-0.

Garrett Peppelman of Virginia got the Cavaliers on the scoreboard with a 5-3 decision over Justin Kresevic at 165 pounds, but reigning All-American Bo Jordan looked to be in midseason form in the next match at 174, earning a 17-2 tech fall over highly-touted freshman Fox Baldwin. Jordan, ranked No. 1 nationally, scored two four-point near falls in the first period in addition to two takedowns. He ended the match in the second with two takedowns and an escape.

Another reigning All-American, Kenny Courts, outlasted Tyler Askey at 184 pounds, earning an 11-5 decision. Courts scored two takedowns in each of the first two periods and is now 5-1 on the year.

No. 10 Zach Nye defeated Matthew O’Hara by decision at 197, but Nick Tavanello put an exclamation point on the night when he pinned Patrick Gillen in 5:45. It was Tavanello’s third fall of the season, tying him with Micah Jordan for the team lead.

The Buckeyes return to action on Sunday, Nov. 15 when they take part in the Michigan State Open.

Ohio State Wrestling
    No. 5 Ohio State 34, No. 23 Virginia 6
    Attendance: 2,080 | Ohio State (1-0); Virginia (3-2)

125: No. 1 Nathan Tomasello (OSU) major decision over Nick Herrmann (UVA) 14-6 | OSU 4, UVA 0
    133: No. 5 Johnni DiJulius (OSU) decision over No. 10 George DiCamillo (UVA) 8-7 | OSU 7, UVA 0
    141: No. 19 Micah Jordan major decision over Zach Watson (UVA) 19-8 | OSU 11, UVA 0
    149: Cody Burcher (OSU) won by fall over Thomas Miller (UVA) 4:06 | OSU 17, UVA 0
    157: Jake Ryan (OSU) won by decision over No. 19 Andrew Atkinson (UVA) 3-2 | OSU 20, UVA 0
    165: Garrett Peppelman (UVA) won by decision over Justin Kresevic (OSU) 5-3 | OSU 20, UVA 3
    174: No. 1 Bo Jordan (OSU) won by tech fall over Fox Baldwin (UVA) 17-2 | OSU 25, UVA 3
    184: No. 5 Kenny Courts (OSU) won by decision over Tyler Askey (UVA) 11-5 | OSU 28, UVA 3
    197: No. 10 Zach Nye (UVA) won by decision over Matthew O’Hara (OSU) 10-6 | OSU 28, UVA 6
    285: No. 18 Nick Tavanello won by fall over Patrick Gillen (UVA) 5:45 | OSU 34, UVA 6

Post Match Quotes

Head coach Tom Ryan

On Starting up the Season“It was just great to get back on the mat. The preseason was long and grueling. It’s just nice to get back into the competition and learn about our guys and how they compete.”

On the crowd
    “We like it raucous. People need to know that this is a very challenging, physical sport and it helps when you scream and yell. There’s no question it has an impact on the athlete.”

Redshirt freshman Jake Ryan

On coming back in his match
    “In the third period I went down and he maybe had 50 seconds of riding time. I heard the crowd growing nuts. So I hit a switch and finally got out and it turned out well.”

On confidence going forward
    “We have a lot of tough guys in the room, the best guys. Training with them every day gives you a gauge on how well you are doing and coming in here and getting a close win always helps.”

Redshirt freshman Cody Burcher

On his pin“I was super nervous walking out on the mat the first time. I was just trying to get my cradle the whole time but he was getting out, but whenever I got that cross face I felt his back bend and felt it was over.”

#GoBucks#

MIKEBASFORD

O 614.292.0134

C 908.892.8951

F 614.292.8547

OhioStateBuckeyes.com

[​IMG]

30. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Parker Martin paces Fallbrook High in 1st CIF Football Win in School History
    By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Warriors Stadium-Fallbrook High School-Fallbrook, CA-For the first time under 3rd year head coach Kyle Williams as he carries a 15-15 career record after tonight’s contest, in his first year it was a 2-9 rebuilding year to a 6-4 winning record in 2014 and made their first CIF State playoff record where they were defeated at Fallbrook by a 38-7 vs. Granite Hills but tonight the Warriors made history as registered their first CIF Division III win in 12 year history of the Warriors Football Program since 2003 under former coach Dennis Houlihan where the Warriors were defeated by Torrey Pines at Qualcolm Stadiun by a 7-3 score, defeated the 5-6 Lancers of Hilltop High School by a 46-6 score as running back Parker Martin’s put on a dazzling performance as he carried the ball 12 times for 196 yards and scored 3 touchdown runs of 98, 10 and 38 yards. Bryce Olivo 9 carries for 71 yards and scored 1 touchdown run of 27 years, Josh Hennenberg 8 carries for 48 yeards scored 1 touchdown run of 12 yards. Jack Grantham 5 completions out of 6 attempts for 80 yards and 1 interception threw 2 touchdown passes of 5 yards to Kobe Stallings (3 receptions for 53 yards) and Nahshon Hagan 1 reception for 22 yards 1 touchdown run of 22.

Kyle Williams Fallbrook Head Football Coach: “It was good to register our first playoff win in 12 years in the history of our program since 2003 which was good for the kids coming in with a win vs. Hilltop and have 7 wins this year as we have a chance in the Division III playoffs after we lost last year after registering a bye in the second round to Granite Hills 38-7 so far we look forward to playing 2nd ranked Mission Bay” “We’ve won 5 of the last 6 games along with playing a difficult non conference schedule in the first five games and 3 of them are ranked in the top ten that are on our schedule which has helped us improve a lot as we learned from our mistakes.” “Parker Martin is a heck of a back we knew that we could run the Buck Sweep against Hilltop we ran in a lot tonight and I give credit to the offensive line as they blocked well and left open holes to have big runs .” “My QB Jack Grantham doesn’t throw a lot but on the 2 touchdown passes he made the right calls which is working out for us.” “Mission Bay is very athletic ball club they were 8-0 and have lost 2 games in a row.”

The Lancers scored their only touchdown in the 3rd quarter as Angel Pineda 18 carries for 46 yards scored on a touchdown run of 4 yards.

With the win the Warriors take a 7-4 record to next Friday’s win at Mission Bay High School game time is 7:00 pm.

31. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

From: Brewer, Christopher J <christopher-brewer@hawkeyesports.com>
    Date: Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM
    Subject: Iowa Wrestling -- 42,287 watch Hawkeyes top Cowboy inside Kinnick Stadium
    To:

University of Iowa Wrestling

Athletic Communications Contact: Chris Brewer

Hawkeyes Top Cowboy inside Kinnick Stadium

Fourth-ranked Iowa wins 18-16 over top-ranked OSU in Grapple on the Gridiron

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The fourth-ranked University of Iowa wrestling team defeated top-ranked Oklahoma State, 18-16, on Saturday in front of 42,287 fans, the largest dual crowd in NCAA history.

The Hawkeyes and Cowboys split 10 matches, 5-5, but Iowa scored bonus points at 125 and, after dropping three straight, regained the lead for good with a crowd-pleasing technical fall at 184.

“The hype for the fans is what’s important for me,” said UI head coach Tom Brands “That’s what it’s about, our fans, I’m selfish that way. I know it is great for wrestling, and people in Russia and Iran are going to see this, as well. This is the city that Dan Gable lives in, that’s a big part of it as well, they will know about it internationally.”

Iowa leaned on its four All-Americans to push through Saturday. Cory Clark (133), Brandon Sorensen (149), and Nathan Burak earned decisions, and Thomas Gilman (125) opened the scoring with a 9-1 major decision over Oklahoma State All-American Eddie Klimara.

But it was Sammy Brooks at 184 that turned the dual in Iowa’s favor for good. Brooks needed just 4:09 to build a 17-2 lead and put the Hawkeyes in front, 15-13.

“You should be looking for bonus points every time you go out there and sometimes last year I was a little too reserved,” Brooks said. “I just want to open it back up and keep that going against whoever steps on the matt.”

Brooks snapped a three-match stretch of Hawkeye losses that turned a 10-3 lead into a 13-10 deficit.

“A five-point win team wise, that’s big,” Brands said. “The way that he was wrestling, hitting those holds, that’s what we want. He can do that against anybody, his consistency is that good. I’ve said that for a long time.”

Burak extended Iowa’s lead to 18-13 at 197, setting up a pin-or-go-home situation for Oklahoma State at 285. The Cowboy’s Austin Marsden, a 2014 All-American, twice got to the legs of Hawkeye rookie Sam Stoll, but the fall never happened and Iowa now has its first three-dual win streak against Oklahoma State since 1995-96.

The Hawkeyes built a 7-0 lead in team score at 125 and 133. Gilman scored one takedown in each period, and Clark built a 6-0 lead on his way to an 8-2 win at 133.

“I started us off right,” Gilman said. “The pace was high. Maybe not where it needed to be, but I was able to get that major decision and help set the tone for the rest of the dual.”

“I think (Clark) could have had a little more urgency to get the major decision on his feet,” Brands said. “He is wrestling his match and we aren’t going to question him.”

Oklahoma State’s top-ranked Dean Heil (141) and Alex Dieringer (165) earned wins, and the Cowboys won at 157 and 174 in a pair of seven-minute slugfests. Fifteenth-ranked Chance Marsteller topped Edwin Cooper, 14-11, at 157, and fourth-ranked Kyle Crutchmer scored a takedown with 34 seconds left to top sixth-ranked Alex Meyer at 174.

“That W is important,” said Brands. “We didn’t wrestle well. You look at eight back-points given up in Cooper’s match, and in Meyer’s match giving up four, coming so close and just not really realizing how your opponent is feeling and how to capitalize on it and be ready. We did a good job of not letting things unravel completely.”

NOTES: Attendance was 42,287, the largest dual crowd in NCAA history… Iowa has won three straight duals against the Cowboys, it’s longest such streak since winning four straight from 1995-96… Logan Ryan made his Iowa dual debut… Sam Stoll made his Iowa debut.

#4 IOWA 18, #1 Oklahoma State 16

125 #4 Thomas Gilman (I) maj. dec. #7 Eddie Klimara (OSU), 9-1; 4-0

133 #2 Cory Clark (I) dec. Gary Wayne Harding (OSU), 8-2; 7-0

141 #1 Dean Heil (OSU) dec. Logan Ryan (I), 7-1; 7-3

149 #3 Brandon Sorensen (I) dec. #8 Anthony Collica (OSU), 6-1; 10-3

157 #15 Chance Marsteller (OSU) dec. Edwin Cooper, Jr. (I), 14-11; 10-6

165#1 Alex Dieringer (OSU) maj. dec. Patrick Rhoads (I), 17-5; 10-10

174 #4Kyle Crutchmer (OSU) dec. #6 Alex Meyer (I), 11-10; 10-13

184 #12 Sammy Brooks (I) tech. fall Jordan Rogers (OSU), 17-2 in 4:09; 15-13

197 #4 Nathan Burak (I) dec. Nolan Boyd (OSU), 5-3; 18-13

285 #5 Austin Marsden (OSU) dec. Sam Stoll (I), 6-1; 18-16

32. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

American Opens Season with 27-11 Win at Campbell

Eagles win seven of 10 bouts against the Camels

BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Winning seven of 10 bouts, the American University wrestling team started its 2015-16 season with a 27-11 dual victory over Campbell on Saturday afternoon.

“Today we stepped on the mat as a team for the first time in 2015-16,” said American head coach Teague Moore. “It was a mixed bag of good, bad and ugly, but most notable was the effort given by everyone.

“We fought in all 10 bouts and that led to a team victory.”

The match began at 157 pounds, where 17th-ranked senior captain John Boyle got the Eagles out to a strong start with a first-period pin. The Camels responded with a sudden victory win at 165 pounds to get on the board, but the Eagles extended their lead in the team scoring with a 6-3 decision by Jason Grimes at 174 pounds.

A major decision by Campbell at 184 pounds cut AU’s lead to 9-7, but sophomore Jeric Kasunic was dominant in his bout at 197 pounds for the Eagles, scoring a 13-0 major decision.

Another major decision for the Camels in the heavyweight bout again cut American’s advantage to two points, but the Eagles closed out the dual with four straight wins to pull away.

Senior captain David Terao, ranked eighth in the nation at 125 pounds, scored a 14-3 major decision in his first match of the season. Meanwhile, redshirt junior Esteban Gomez-Rivera earned the biggest upset of the dual for American, knocking off 17th-ranked Nathan Kraisser, 5-1, at 133 pounds.

Redshirt senior Tyler Scotton, in his first season wrestling for the Eagles, added an 11-5 decision at 141 pounds. Senior Michael Dahlstrom, a former Campbell wrestler, closed out the dual with a 13-3 major decision to give American the 27-11 victory.

“I’m very happy for Esteban,” said Moore. “This was a top-20 win he deserved and has worked very hard for.

“John and David showed why they are captains, with dominant performances and senior poise.”

The Eagles are back in action next Sunday, Nov. 22, when they head back to North Carolina for the Wolfpack Open, hosted by NC State.

American 27, Campbell 11

157: No. 17 John Boyle (AU) fall Grant Blumenthal, 2:24

165: Paul Duggan (CU) dec. Mitchell Wightman, 7-5 (SV1)

174: Jason Grimes (AU) dec. Matthew Olauson, 6-3

184: Ville Heino (CU) maj. dec. Joe Salvi, 17-5

197: Jeric Kasunic (AU) maj. dec. Austin McNeil, 13-0

HWT: Jere Heino (CU) maj. dec. Jake Scanlan, 14-1

125: No. 9 David Terao (AU) maj. dec. Tyler Walker, 14-3

133: Esteban Gomez-Rivera (AU) dec. No. 17 Nathan Kraisser, 5-1

141: Tyler Scotton (AU) dec. Zack Barker, 11-5

149: Michael Dahlstrom (AU) maj. dec. Quentin Perez, 13-3

---------------

MELISSA MCKEOWN
    Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
    American University
    o: 202.885.3030
    c: 719.213.1509
    e: mckeown@american.edu

33. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Date: Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    Subject: @IlliniWrestling Sweeps No.25 ASU and SIUE
    To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Sunday, November 15, 2015

SID Contact: Chad Beyler (O: 217.300.1449; C: 217.493.3777 or beyler2@illinois.edu)

Link: fightingillini.com/news/2015/11/15/WREST_1115151057.aspx

FIGHTING ILLINI WRESTLING

@IlliniWrestling Sweeps No.25 ASU and SIUE

Brunson Adds Team-High Third and Fourth Pins

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. –Coming off an opening weekend sweep at the Eastern Michigan Duals, the ninth-ranked Illini dispatched the No. 25 Arizona State Sun Devils 27-9 and SIUE 41-3. The Illini were led by pins from Zac Brunson (2), Isaiah Martinez, and Brooks Black.

“I thought there were some really good things. [Steven] Rodrigues looked really good, especially in that last match. Brooks Black showed a little bit of fire, which is good. Overall, I thought everything was pretty positive for the most part.”

The 25th ranked Sun Devils jumped on top of the Illini early with an 8-6 decision by Ares Caripo over true-freshman Francis Edelen. The No. 6 wrestler at 133 pounds, Zane Richards, responded for the Illini with a 22-6 tech fall in third period to take a 5-3 lead. After a Brock Ervin decision pushed the lead to 8-3, Arizona State fought back with a hard-fought 7-5 sudden victory decision.

In a bout that could have turned the tides in favor of the Sun Devils, No. 1 Isaiah Martinez fought tooth and nail with Oliver Pierce at 157 pounds. The two fought to a stalemate after the first period, but Isaiah Martinez nabbed an escape in period two before tacking on a riding time point to claim a 2-0 victory, and give the Orange and Blue an 11-6 lead.

Upperclassmen Steven Rodrigues and Zac Brunson put away the grapplers from Tempe in the next two bouts with a major decision and a pin, respectively.

“Brunson has been good on top for the last couple of years,” said Heffernan. “I think he’s really focused on becoming a pinner, so he’s working on being better on top, and he’s good on his feet already.”

After No. 4 Blake Stauffer grabbed three points for Arizona State, Andre Lee and Brooks Black combined for 6 points to finish off the dual, giving the Illini a 27-9 victory.

“I think everybody battled hard,” said Black. “I think we’re making the right steps in the right direction to get ready for Big Tens.”

In the second dual for the Illini, the Orange and Blue again fell behind early 3-0, but were quick to respond with major decisions from Zane Richards and Brock Ervin. At 149 pounds, Kyle Langenderfer earned his first win on the day with a 3-2 decision over former Illini John Fahy.

The Fighting Illini put the pressure on SIUE the rest of the way with falls by Martinez (2:52), Brunson (2:44), and Black (0:24), and a tech fall from Rodrigues (4:32). The rout ended with a 41-3 victory for Coach Heffernan’s Squad.

For Brunson, his two pins today gives him four falls in five bouts this season, and tops on the team.

“Brunson has been good on top for the last couple of years,” said Coach Heffernan. “I think he’s really focused on becoming a pinner, so he’s working on being better on top, making it more of a priority. He’s good on his feet already, so it’s another way for him to score and another way for him to attack people.”

No. 9 Illinois 27, No. 25 Arizona State 9

125: Ares Carpio (ARST) over Francis Edelen (ILLI) (Dec 8-6) 133: Zane Richards (ILLI) over Cordero Coronado (ARST) (TF 22-6 5:47) 141: Brock Ervin (ILLI) over Robert Mathers (ARST) (Dec 10-5) 149: Matthew Kraus (ARST) over Kyle Langenderfer (ILLI) (SV-1 7-5) 157: Isaiah Martinez (ILLI) over Gene `Oliver` Pierce (ARST) (Dec 2-0) 165: Steven Rodrigues (ILLI) over Jacen Petersen (ARST) (MD 17-5) 174: Zach Brunson (ILLI) over Zachary Smith (ARST) (Fall 2:21) 184: Blake Stauffer (ARST) over Jeffrey Koepke (ILLI) (Dec 5-4) 197: Andre Lee (ILLI) over Joshua Dasilveira (ARST) (Dec 3-1) 285: Brooks Black (ILLI) over Tanner Hall (ARST) (Dec 4-3)

No. 9 Illinois 41, Southern Illinois Edwardsville 3

125: Troy Gassaway (SIE) over Francis Edelen (ILLI) (Dec 7-1) 133: Zane Richards (ILLI) over Dakota Leach (SIE) (MD 20-8) 141: Brock Ervin (ILLI) over Angelo Silvestro (SIE) (MD 10-2) 149: Kyle Langenderfer (ILLI) over John Fahy (SIE) (Dec 3-2) 157: Isaiah Martinez (ILLI) over Nate Higgins (SIE) (Fall 2:52) 165: Steven Rodrigues (ILLI) over Eric Travers (SIE) (TF 18-2 4:32) 174: Zach Brunson (ILLI) over Clayton Bass (SIE) (Fall 2:44) 184: Jeffrey Koepke (ILLI) over Derek Nagel (SIE) (MD 14-5) 197: Andre Lee (ILLI) over Jake Tindle (SIE) (Dec 3-2) 285: Brooks Black (ILLI) over Chris Johnson (SIE) (Fall 0:24)

--
    [​IMG]
    Chad Beyler

Athletics Communication Intern
    Division of Intercollegiate Athletics | University of Illinois
    SID Contact: Men's & Women's Track/XC, Wrestling, Assistant Volleyball
    Office: 217-300-1449 | Cell: 217-493-3777
    beyler2@illinois.edu

34. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Date: Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    Subject: NC STATE WRESTLING: Pack Dominates at Northeast Duals; Going 3-0 Including 31-3 Win over #16 Minnesota
    To:

[​IMG]

@PackWrestle Dominates at Northeast Duals; Going 3-0 Including 31-3 Win over #16 MinnesotaThe 12th-ranked Wolfpack defeated Army (32-6), Sacred Heart (32-13), and finished with a dominating 31-3 win over #16 Minnesota

TROY, N.Y.
    - The NC State wrestling team started its 2015-16 campaign off in dominating fashion, going 3-0 at the Northeast Duals on Sunday. The 12th-ranked Wolfpack defeated Army (32-6), Sacred Heart (32-13), and finished with a dominating 31-3 win over #16 Minnesota.

The Pack won 24 of its 30 matches on the day - including nine of 10 against Minnesota. Of the 24 wins, 14 were bonus point wins.

“Today was a great day for our program,” said head coach Pat Popolizio. “Getting three wins to start the season really sets a positive tone. We need to continue to build off of this momentume. I was extremely pleased with our aggresive style of wrestling.

“Our young guys, like Sean Fausz and Jamal Morris, had really good individual performances today and got the team rolling. Pete (Renda) looked very comfortable at his new weight class and had a dominate performance in his final match today.”

#12 NC State 32, Army 6
    125: Sean Fausz (NCSU) tech fall Sean Bauda - 18-3; 5-0
    133: Jamal Morris (NCSU) major dec. Austin Harry - 11-3; 9-0
    141: #3 Kevin Jack (NCSU) dec. Logan Everett - 9-2; 12-0
    149: Sam Melikian (NCSU) major dec. Javier Rodriguez - 16-6; 16-0
    157: #8 Tommy Gantt (NCSU) major dec. #14 Russell Parsons - 14-4; 20-0
    165: Lee Davis (NCSU) dec. Andrew Mendel - 14-7; 23-0
    174: Brian Harvey (Army) dec. Nicky Hall - 7-2; 23-3
    184: #18 Pete Renda (NCSU) major dec. Samson Imonode - 15-3; 27-3
    197: Bryce Barnes (Army) dec. Malik McDonald - 5-3; 27-6
    285: #1 Nick Gwiazdowski (NCSU) tech fall David Farr - 17-2; 32-6

Quick Recap: The Pack won eight of the 10 bouts, including six bonus point victories. Three Pack wrestlers made their collegiate debuts, all redshirt-freshmen, going 2-1.

Top Match: 157 - #8 Tommy Gantt (NCSU) major dec. #14 Russell Parsons; 14-4
    After redshirting last season, Gantt was in dual action for the first time in two years and his first bout was against the 14th ranked wrestler nationally. Gantt dominated from the start, scoring six takedowns in the bout and not allowing any in bringing home a 14-4 major decision.

Honorable Mentions: 125 - Sean Fausz (NCSU) tech fall Sean Bauda; 18-3
    133 - Jamal Morris (NCSU) major dec. Austin Harry; 11-3
    The first two duals for the Wolfpack in 2015-16 featured a pair of redshirt freshmen competing in their first collegiate duals - and both scored bonus point wins. Sean Fausz posted an 18-3 tech fall at 125 to start the Pack’s day, followed by Jamal Morris’ 11-3 major decision at 133 pounds. After the two bouts, the Pack was up 9-0.

#12 NC State 32, Sacred Heart 13
    125: Sean Fausz (NCSU) major dec. Patrick Skinner - 18-4; 4-0
    133: Gerard Daly (SH) major dec. McKinnon Bowen - 15-5; 4-4
    141: Will Clark (NCSU) dec. Alex Harnsberger - 8-7; 7-4
    149: Beau Donahue (NCSU) tech fall Jordan Velez - 23-7; 12-4
    157: Sam Melikian (NCSU) major dec. Matt Fisher - 20-8; 16-4
    165: Chad Pyke (NCSU) tech fall Johnny Vrasidas - 15-0; 21-4
    174: Conan Schuster (SH) dec. Lee Davis - 10-4; 21-7
    184: #18 Pete Renda (NCSU) tech fall Mark Boyle - 16-1; 26-7
    197: Sasha Oliinyk (SH) fall Malik McDonald - 1:03; 26-13
    285: #1 Nick Gwiazdowski (NCSU) fall John Hartnett - 2:09; 32-13

Quick Recap: The Pack won seven of the 10 bouts, including six bonus point wins. Two addition Pack wrestlers made their collegiate debuts, a pair of true-freshmen, going 1-1.

Top Matches: 165 - Chad Pyke (NCSU) tech fall Johnny Vrasidas; 15-0
    184 - #18 Pete Renda (NCSU) tech fall Mark Boyle; 16-1
    The Pack recorded three tech falls against Sacred Heart in all, with Chad Pyke (15-0) and Pete Renda (16-1) giving up little on the mat in terms of escape points. Renda’s tech fall took just 2:46.

Honorable Mention: 285 - #1 Nick Gwiazdowski (NCSU) fall John Hartnett; 2:09
    The two-time defending NCAA champion picked up the Pack’s first pin of the 2015-16 season. The pin was Gwiazdowski’s 31st of his NC State career.

#12 NC State 31, #16 Minnesota 3
    125: Sean Fausz (NCSU) dec. #19 Skyler Petry - 8-6; 3-0
    133: Jamal Morris (NCSU) dec. Sam Brancale - 5-2; 6-0
    141: #3 Kevin Jack (NCSU) dec. #19 Tommy Thorn - 10-4; 9-0
    149: Beau Donahue (NCSU) dec. Miles Patton - 8-4; 12-0
    157: #8 Tommy Gantt (NCSU) major dec. Brandon Kingsley - 12-3; 16-0
    165: #7 Max Rohskopf (NCSU) dec. Dylan Urbach - 6-0; 19-0
    174: Nicky Hall (NCSU) dec. Nick Wanzek - 8-6; 22-0
    184: #18 Pete Renda (NCSU) fall Chris Pfarr - 5:29; 28-0
    197: #6 Brett Pfarr (Minn) dec. Michael Boykin - 7-3; 28-3
    285: #1 Nick Gwiazdowski (NCSU) dec. #7 Michael Kroeils - 10-6; 31-3

Quick Recap: The Pack won the first eight matches of the dual - nine of 10 overall - and dominated #16 Minnesota x-x in the final dual of the day. After four straight decisions, Tommy Gantt scored a major decision at 157 and Pete Renda scored a pin at 184 for a commanding 28-0 lead. In the dual, the Pack won 3 of the four matches against ranked Minnesota wrestlers.

Top Match: 125 - Sean Fausz (NCSU) dec. #19 Skyler Petry; 8-6
    Like he did in the first two duals of the day, redshirt-freshman Sean Fausz picked up a win and gave the Pack the lead after the opening match. He scored an 8-6 upset of 19th-ranked Skyler Petry. With Fausz pp 4-3 to start the third, Petry scored a reverse and took his first lead at 5-4. A Fausz escape tied it up, then he scored another takedown, and after a Petry escape, Fausz had the extra point for riding time and a 8-6 win.

Honorable Mention: 184 - #18 Pete Renda (NCSU) fall Chris Pfarr; 5:29
    With the Pack winning each of its first seven, the lead was big at 22-0. But it was Renda’s pin that clinched the dual win, as he put the Pack up 28-0 with only two bouts left. Wrestling at a new weight this year, he was a two-time NCAA Qualifier at 174 pounds, Renda was 3-0 today with a major decision, tech fall and pin.

Up Next: The Wolfpack will be in home action next weekend. On Saturday, the Wolfpack will host four dual matches in the Wolfpack Duals at Cary Academy High School and on Sunday host the Wolfpack Open in Carmichael Gymnasium.

--

Brian Reinhardt
    Director of Athletics Digital Communications
    (919) 515-8953 (office)
    (919) 819-8317 (cell)
    brian_reinhardt@ncsu.edu

Visit www.GoPack.com
    "All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties." [​IMG]

35. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 18, 2015

Peters Announces Signing Class of 2016

Jacob Wentzel, Austin Bell and Christian Dietrich sign letters of intent.

PITTSBURGH – University of Pittsburgh head wrestling coach Jason Peters has announced a loaded class of early signees to his 2016 class. The bunch is comprised of two WPIAL blue bloods and one of New York’s finest prep athletes.

The signing classes includes Jacob Wentzel (South Park, Pa./152), Austin Bell (Belle Vernon, Pa./170) and Christian Dietrich (Greene, N.Y./182).

Former Pitt wrestling brothers Donnie and P.J. Tasser, also graduates of Belle Vernon, played a major role in the major success of now-committed Austin Bell who garnered All-American accolades as freshman in high school and became BVA’s second WPIAL champion in school history as a sophomore. That same year Bell had a runner-up finish (160 lbs.) at the National High School Coaches Association (NHSCA) Sophomore Nationals in Virginia Beach. Through his three years as a Leopard, Bell has compiled an overall record of 118-21, including a third place finish at states. In the most recent high school polls, Bell was ranked fifth by FloWrestling and eighth by InterMat.

The future Panther who resides closest to Pitt’s Oakland campus is Jacob Wentzel, a product of South Park High School, at the southern tip of Allegheny County. Wentzel is rated No. 4 by InterMat and No. 7 by FloWrestling in the 152 weight class. Wentzel is the reigning PIAA (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association) champion at 152 pounds, and, as a senior, Wentzel looks to build upon the 80-3 record he’s compiled over the past two seasons.

New York native Christian Dietrich got an early start to his high school career as he earned his first spot on the podium as a seventh grader wrestling at 152 pounds. Dietrich then took a year off being going all the way to the state finals where he finished second at 170 pounds. As a sophomore, he went undefeated en route to another state championship at 182 pounds. Dietrich would then start attending Wyoming Seminary in Kingston, Pa., to continue to grow as a wrestler and student in the classroom. In the latest FloWrestling rankings, Dietrich comes in at eighth and was tabbed 11th by InterMat.

The Panthers will compete at the Fitzgerald Field House seven times throughout the 2015-16 campaign and will host some of the top teams in the country. Fans can purchase season and single match tickets online or by calling 800-643-PITT(7488).

For all things Pitt wrestling, follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

[​IMG]

Julie Jurich Assistant Director of Media Relations

Men’s Soccer, Wrestling, Women’s TennisUniversity of Pittsburgh | Department of Athletics
    Petersen Events Center | 3719 Terrace St., Room 2092 | Pittsburgh, PA 15261
    jjurich@athletics.pitt.edu
    Cell: (412) 652-5585 | Office: (412) 648-8245

website | map

INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN MAY INCLUDE PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION SUBJECT TO PROTECTION UNDER FEDERAL LAW. THIS INFORMATION SHOULD BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. RE-DISCLOSURE OF THIS INFORMATION IS PROHIBITED ABSENT SPECIFIC WRITTEN CONSENT OR AS OTHERWISE PERMITTED BY LAW OR REGULATION.

36. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Date: Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:21 AM
    Subject: NIU Wrestling: Steve Bleise Named MAC Wrestler of the Week
    To: Roger Sepich <rsepich@niu.edu>

November 18, 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NIU Wrestling: Steve Bleise Named MAC Wrestler of the Week

Bleise won the Michigan State Open by defeating two top-15 wrestlers. Head shot attached.

CLEVELAND –Steve Bleise of the Northern Illinois University wrestling team was named the Mid-American Conference Wrestler of the Week, the league office announced on Wednesday.

Bleise (Chelsea, Mich./Chelsea) became the first Huskie wrestler since Derek Elmore in November 2012 to garner the award, which recognizes the most impressive wrestling achievement by a MAC student-athlete during the previous week.

And even though six MAC wrestlers won titles at the Michigan State Open, NIU’s redshirt freshman 141-pounder was selected for the conference’s weekly award after he posted victories over two top-15 wrestlers on his way to claiming the championship.

To remain undefeated this season and clinch the Michigan State Open title, Bleise won his first three matches handily before defeating No. 13 Danny Sabatello of Purdue 11-6 in the semifinals and knocking off defending MAC Champion and No. 14-ranked Zach Horan of Central Michigan by a 5-3 decision in the final.

Bleise is now 9-0 this season for the Huskies, and the redshirt freshman was ranked as high as No. 10 this week in the national rankings for his weight class by Flowrestling as well as being a consensus top-20 wrestler at 141 pounds.

The NIU wrestling team returns to the mats this Saturday at the Lindenwood Open in St. Charles, Mo., where the Huskies will wrestle all day against a quality field of opponents as they look to build on their early season success.

--NIU--

RJ Sepich
    NIU Athletics Communications Graduate Assistant:
    WSOC, WREST, WTEN, WT&F/XC
    Email: RSepich@niu.edu; RJSepich@gmail.com
    Cell: (724) 822-3107
    Twitter: @RJSepich
    www.niuhuskies.com
    NIU Huskie Athletics
    We develop CHAMPIONS, in the classroom, in competition and in life.

37. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Davis announces signing of 2016 recruiting class

Covaciu and Wick twins set to join Badgers

On the Web: http://go.wisc.edu/533iy2

MADISON, Wis. — The early signing period proved to be successful for the Wisconsin wrestling team, as the program signed Indiana standout Jacob Covaciu and the highly ranked Wick twins, Evan and Zander.

“All three guys fit what we’re looking for,” Wisconsin head coach Barry Davis said. “I think they're each a great addition to our program. The last three years have been good for us. The program is definitely moving forward in the right direction with the right people.”

Jacob Covaciu

Jacob Covaciu, a Merrillville, Indiana, native brings a list of accomplishments with him to Madison next fall. In 2014, he was named a Folkstyle All-American and finished as the Indiana state runner-up at 138 pounds. He continued his success in 2015, finishing as the Indiana state champion at 145 pounds and was awarded 2015 Fargo Jr. Freestyle All-America honors.

The senior is currently ranked as the No. 1 wrestler in the state of Indiana and stands at No. 18 on the Intermat national rankings. He is projected to compete in either the 157- or 165-pound weight class for Wisconsin and plans to major in kinesiology/pre-med.

Davis on Covaciu: “Jacob Covaciu from Indiana won a state title last year. I think he’s got great upside to him. He comes from a great work ethic as well. He’s got goals on the mat as well as off the mat. He wants to go to medical school. The leadership’s there, the work ethic’s there, the dedication’s there.”

Evan Wick

Evan Wick signed to officially join the Badgers’ 2016 signing class with his twin brother Zander.

Evan Wick is a standout competitor who will add to the Badgers list of accolades. The San Gabriel, California, native was a two-time California state place winner, a 2015 Western Regionals champion and a 2015 Jr. Freestyle runner-up.

Currently, Evan is ranked third in the nation at 152 pounds by FLOWrestling. He is expected to compete in the 165-pound weight class for the Badgers and plans on majoring in business.

Zander Wick

Zander Wick boasts an impressive resume as well. The San Gabriel, California, native was named the 2013 Folkstyle National Champion. In 2015, he finished as the California state runner-up, grabbed a Jr. Freestyle All-America honor and claimed the 2015 Freakshow Champion title.

Currently, Zander is ranked third in the nation at 145 pounds by FLOWrestling. He is expected to compete in the 149- or 157-pound weight class for Wisconsin and plans on majoring in business.

Davis on Wick twins: “We got a great brother combination and that’s a great thing. They have different styles. Evan is taller than Zander—he’s somewhat compact—but they bring a very intense style and a very offensive style of wrestling. I think they’ll make guys around them better. They bring the full package with character, leadership, good students, as well as what they bring to the mat. They each have a great work ethic too, so it’ll be great to have them.”

Kelli Grashel

Athletic Communications Assistant |University of Wisconsin

Softball, Wrestling, W Basketball, Football

Office - 608-262-8216 | Cell - 608-445-4086

38. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

ovember 18, 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Mike Basford / basford.16@osu.edu WR: Arizona State, Cleveland State Up Next For No. 5 Ohio StateSun Devils come to St. John Arena Friday at 7 p.m.

RELATED INFO: Online Release | Match Notes | Watch Live: BTN Plus | 2015-16 Statistics | 2015-16 Schedule | 2015-16 Roster | Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Coming off of a dominating home win last Friday against Virginia, fifth-ranked Ohio State returns to the friendly confines of St. John Arena on Friday night for another home dual, this time entertaining Arizona State at 7 p.m. Next Tuesday, the Buckeyes take their show on the road for a trip up I-71 to Cleveland State for a 7 p.m. dual against the Vikings.

BUCKEYES IN A NUTSHELL

• Ohio State is 1-0 on the year after winning eight of 10 bouts against then-No. 23 Virginia is a 34-6 rout of the Cavaliers.
    • Five of Ohio State’s eight wins came via bonus points, led by pins from redshirt freshman Cody Burcher and redshirt junior Nick Tavanello. Redshirt sophomore Bo Jordan added a tech fall at 174 pounds, reigning national champion Nathan Tomasello had a major decision at 125 pounds and redshirt freshman Micah Jordan also had a major decision at 141 pounds.
    • Three newcomers to the starting lineup – Burcher, Jordan and redshirt freshman Jake Ryan – won consecutive matches to help Ohio State open a 20-0 lead.
    • Ryan’s come-from-behind 3-2 win over No. 19 Andrew Atkinson improved his record to 7-0 on the season and was his first victory over a ranked wrestler.
    • In the latest InterMat rankings, seven Buckeyes are in the Top 20 of their respective weight classes, led by top-ranked Tomasello and Jordan. DiJulius is No. 5 at 133, M. Jordan No. 19 at 141, Tavanello No. 18 at 285 and Ryan makes his debut at No. 20 at 157.
    • The Open Mat.com has eight Buckeyes ranked, seven of which are in the Top 15 – Tomasello (No. 1), B. Jordan (No. 1), DiJulius (No. 6), M. Jordan (No. 14), Hunter Stieber (No. 13), Ryan (No. 19), Courts (No. 9) and Tavanello (No. 15).
    • Tavanello and M. Jordan currently lead the team with three falls. Five of Jordan’s six wins this year have come via fall, tech fall or major decision.

FOLLOWING ALONG
    Friday’s match can be seen live on BTN Plus (subscription required). It is one of seven duals on BTN Plus this season. On Tuesday at Cleveland State, live updates will be available on TrackWrestling as well as the team's official Twitter handle @wrestlingbucks.

For more information on BTN Plus and to order a subscription, click here.

SCOUTING ARIZONA STATE
    The Sun Devils, under second-year head coach Zeke Jones, is 4-2 on the year and most recently competed at the Illinois Duals, where it defeated SIU-Edwardsville, 38-6, and lost to Illinois, 27-9. Arizona State features two ranked wrestlers - Matt Kraus (No. 17, 149 lbs.) and Blake Stauffer (No. 3, 184 lbs.). Stauffer was an All-American last year, finishing 37-3 overall and fourth at the NCAA Championships.

SCOUTING CLEVELAND STATE
    Cleveland State is 4-1 this year after finishing third at last weekend’s inaugural Ohio Duals. The Vikings wrestle against Eastern Michigan on Friday. At the season opening Clarion Open, CSU had one champion, one runner up and one third place finisher. Riley Shaw is the Vikings’ top wrestler, as he’s No. 10 at 285 pounds in this week’s InterMat rankings.

PROBABLE MATCH-UPS VS. ARIZONA STATE
    125: #1 Nathan Tomasello (2-0) vs. Ares Carpio (2-1) or Mikel Perales (1-2)
    133: #5 Johnni DiJulius (5-0) vs. Dalton Bradley (1-2) or Cord Coronado (1-2)
    141: #19 Micah Jordan (6-0) vs. Robbie Mathers (5-1)
    149: Cody Burcher (7-0) vs. #17 Matt Kraus (5-1)
    157: #20 Jake Ryan (7-0) vs. Oliver Pierce (3-3)
    165: Justin Kresevic (4-3) vs. Jacen Petersen (5-1) or Preston McCalmon (0-1)
    174: #1 Bo Jordan (3-0) vs. Zach Smith (3-2)
    184: #4 Kenny Courts (5-1) vs. #3 Blake Stauffer (6-0)
    197: Matthew O’Hara (4-2) vs. Josh DaSilveira (3-3)
    285: #18 Nick Tavanello (6-0) vs. Tanner Hall (4-2) or Chace Eskam (0-0)

PROBABLE MATCH-UPS VS. CLEVELAND STATE
    125: #1 Nathan Tomasello (2-0) vs. Evan Cheek
    133: #5 Johnni DiJulius (5-0) vs. Mike Kostandaras
    141: #19 Micah Jordan (6-0) vs. Michael Carlone
    149: Cody Burcher (7-0) vs. Nick Montgomery
    157: #20 Jake Ryan (7-0) vs. Chas Busz
    165: Justin Kresevic (4-3) vs. John Vaughn
    174: #1 Bo Jordan (3-0) vs. Gabe Stark
    184: #4 Kenny Courts (5-1) vs. Nathan Wynkoop
    197: Matthew O’Hara (4-2) vs. Sam Wheeler
    285: #18 Nick Tavanello (6-0) vs. Riley Shaw

IN THE POLLS
    For the third straight week, Ohio State remained No. 5 in this week’s USA Today/NWCA poll. The Buckeyes are one of four Big Ten schools in the top five, joined by Penn State (No. 1), Iowa (No. 2) and Michigan (No. 3). Overall, Ohio State faces four teams that are ranked in the top 10 – Penn State, Michigan, No. 7 Nebraska and No. 9 Missouri.

WIN TOURNAMENT POWER INDEX
    In its first Tournament Index Power Index ranking of the season, Wrestling Insider News Magazine has the Buckeyes in a tie with Virginia Tech for No. 4 overall. Four Ohio State wrestlers are ranked in WIN’s top eight, which would be All-America status – Tomasello, DiJulius, Stieber and Jordan.

HONORARY COACH
    Dustin Myers, co-owner of Old School Gym in Pataskala and strength coach for the Ohio RTC, will serve as the Buckeyes’ honorary coach on Friday night. Myers is a 2002 graduate of Ohio State and former high school wrestler. He has trained wrestling standouts Tommy Rowlands, Reece Humphrey and Lance Palmer along with former OSU football stars Chris “Beanie” Wells, Antonio Pittman, Maurice Clarett and Dan Herron. Dustin recently became a sponsored trainer thru top supplement company Muscle Pharm, designing strength training regimens and videos for the wrestling and MMA communities. He and his wife Julie have two kids – Mia and Jack.

“As a former wrestler and a lifelong Buckeye, getting to coach elite athletes thru the RTC is a dream come true,” said Myers. “I feel blessed and thankful to work with such a great program and to be involved with such inspiring leaders as Tom Ryan and Lou Rosselli.”

#GoBucks#

MIKEBASFORD

O 614.292.0134

C 908.892.8951

F 614.292.8547

OhioStateBuckeyes.com

[​IMG]

39. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Date: Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:00 AM
    Subject: Article: Keystone Classic Preview: 149/157/165/174 Pounds
    To: dawvoice3@gmail.com

Click here to view as a web page.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy Hunter Martin

Keystone Classic Preview: 149/157/165/174 Pounds
    Courtesy University of Pennsylvania
    Wed, November 18, 2015
    PHILADELPHIA – The 2015 Keystone Classic is this Sunday in The Palestra, with 13 teams competing in a premier early-season wrestling tournament.

In addition to the host University of Pennsylvania program, No. 21 (Tournament Rankings) Northwestern, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Drexel, Rider, Bloomsburg, Harvard, Franklin & Marshall, Eastern Michigan, Appalachian State, VMI, and Sacred Heart will compete in the tournament.

Last year, four teams competing at this season’s Keystone Classic finished in the Top-30 at NCAAs – Northwestern (No. 15), Pitt (No. 21), Indiana (No. 24), and Rider (No. 27).

Leading up the tournament, PennAthletics.com will preview each weight class and highlight key entrants expected to compete for the title. Today, we look at 149, 157, 165, and 174 pounds.

149: The premier weight in the tournament, there are three Top-10 wrestlers likely to be entered this weekend. Leading the pack is No. 1 Jason Tsirtsis of Northwestern. The 2014 NCAA champion, Tsirtsis was third last year at NCAAs. Along the way, he twice defeated No. 10 B.J. Clagon (Rider) by 2-1 decision – the second meeting in the consolation semifinals after Clagon had secured his own All-American honors. The home team will have a say in the matter with No. 8 C.J. Cobb. The champion at the Bearcat Open to begin the season, Cobb was a Round of 12 finisher last year at NCAAs – falling to Clagon in a 5-3 decision. Drexel is assuredly in the mix as well, with No. 16 Matt Cimato – also a NCAA qualifier last season – rounding out a stellar top four. If you’re looking for someone to come from off the pace, VMI’s Stevan Smith has a third-place finish at the Hokie Open to his credit early in the season.

157: While there are no returning All-Americans at this weight, Penn’s Brooks Martino and Rider’s Chad Walsh are two returning NCAA qualifiers who are in contention for the title this weekend. Martino placed sixth at EIWAs last season, while Walsh was EWL champion. Northwestern’s Bryce Brill could be a factor as well. He was 4-0 last season before suffering a season-ending injury. He hasn’t competed yet this season, but if he is good to go on Sunday Brill can surely make a run. VMI again has a wrestler coming off a good result at the Hokie Open in Neal Richards who finished second.

165: What was a deep weight at last year’s Keystone Classic is a bit more wide open this time around with the graduation of stalwarts at Indiana and Northwestern. However, as one would expect, those two Big Ten programs have reloaded. Northwestern is expected to enter No. 15 Johnny Sebastien. The Ramsey, N.J. (Bergen Catholic) product went 23-3 last year as a redshirt at 174 pounds. He hasn’t competed yet this season, but if entered gives the Wildcats a shot at the title. Indiana’s Devin Skatzka has finished second at the EMU Open and fifth at the MSU Open to begin his collegiate career. Rider is also a factor with two-time NCAA qualifier No. 14 Connor Brennan. He his 3-0 to start the season. Penn’s will enter Ray Bethea, who was sixth last year at EIWAs and has won his only two matches of 2015-16. VMI’s Shabaka Johns was third at the Hokie Open and took second at the SoCon Championships last season. Appalachian State’s Forrest Pryzbysz was third at the MSU Open this past week, making a second SoCon factor.

174: Indiana’s Nate Jackson enters the week ranked No. 12 by InterMat and is the likely No. 1 seed at the tournament. He went 3-2 last year at NCAAs and is the defending Keystone Classic champion. Appalachian State’s Nick Kees is ranked No. 15 this week, and is coming off a fifth place finish at the MSU Open. The home team will bring Casey Kent to the field. After a year off with injury, Kent is looking to build on a NCAA Championships berth at 165 pounds in 2013-14. He was 3-1 at the Bearcat Open, reaching the semifinals. Other wrestlers to keep an eye on are Pittsburgh’s Te’Shan Campbell – a PIAA state champion last year at 170 pounds, and Sacred Heart’s Conan Shuster who took sixth last year at EIWAs.

Wrestling begins at 9 a.m. on Sunday in The Palestra. Tickets are on sale now, and are $10 in advance of the tournament and $15 at the door. Live streaming of the tournament will begin at 5 p.m. on Sunday on the Ivy League Digital Network and continue through the championship finals which are expected to begin at 6 p.m.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Click here to view as a web page.

To remove your e-mail address from our mailing list, please click on Customer Care and select Remove From Mailing List from the Area of Interest list and specify your e-mail address. Note: This does not apply to opt-in e-mail. To modify your opt-in e-mail deliveries, log in to the site and modify your preferences. Customer Care

NeuLion
    800 Central Park Drive
    Sanford, FL 32771

40. dawrestling

dawrestling Infantry
    Expand Collapse

Date: Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 7:28 AM
    Subject: Mizzou Wrestling Selected to Win Mid-American Conference
    To:

[​IMG]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Wednesday, November 18, 2015

MIZZOU WRESTLING - @MizzouWrestling | MIZZOU ATHLETICS - @MizzouAthletics

CONTACT – Andrew Melroe (melroea@missouri.edu)

@MizzouWrestling Selected to Win the Mid-American Conference

Seven #TigerStyle wrestlers ranked in preseason weight class rankings

COLUMBIA, Mo. – Last season, Mizzou Wrestling captured its third consecutive Mid-American Conference title, one for each season Mizzou has been a member of the conference. On Wednesday, the conference office announced its preseason rankings with Mizzouagain sitting atop the poll with 20.0 points. #TigerStyle wrestlers were represented in seven of the 10 individual weight class rankings, with junior 133-pounder Zach Synon (Cary, Ill.) and junior 197-pounder J’den Cox (Columbia, Mo.) leading the way at the top of their respective weight classes.

The league’s head coaches voted on the team and individual rankings (full rankings below). Schools and wrestlers were ranked based on the number of first through fourth-place votes. A first-place vote was worth four points, second-place vote earned three points, third-place votes earned two points, and fourth-place votes earned one point.

Both Synon and Cox will enter the 2015-16 season as defending champions, winning last season’s MAC Tournament Championship. Cox also placed fifth at the NCAA Championships. In total, Mizzou will have four returning All-Americans this season. In addition to Synon and Cox, redshirt junior 149-pounder Lavion Mayes (Mascoutah, Ill.) and redshirt sophomore 184-pounder Willie Miklus (Altoona, Iowa) captured MAC Championships and advanced to the NCAA Championships a season ago. Mayes and Miklus each finished seventh at NCAAs. Both Mayes and Miklus were ranked second in the preseason rankings in their respective weight classes.

Three other Tigers were ranked in the preseason individual rankings. Redshirt sophomore 125-pounder Barlow McGhee (Rock Island, Ill.) was selected to finish fourth by the conference. McGhee wrestled in five tournaments a season ago while taking his redshirt season, earning a record of 14-5 and a championship at the Roger Denker Open. Redshirt freshman 165-pounder Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs, Mo.) was selected third in the preseason rankings. Lewis had a very impressive redshirt campaign in 2014-15, posting a record of 21-8 with an astonishing 15 wins by way of pin. Virginia transfer redshirt senior 174-pounder Blaise Butler (Belvidere, Ill.) was the second-ranked wrestler in preseason rankings. Last season, Butler posted a 21-6 record and 13-2 dual record as a Cavalier.

Mizzou will begin the regular season on Friday (Nov. 20) with a dual on the road against SIU-Edwardsville. Match starts at 7 P.M. CT. Mizzou begins its MAC title defense on Saturday, Nov. 28 at Northern Iowa.

For all the latest on Mizzou Wrestling, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (MizzouWrestling).

2015-16 MAC November Rankings

1. Missouri (20.0)

2. Ohio (15.5)

3. Old Dominion (15.0)

4. Central Michigan (14.5)

5. Northern Iowa (13.0)

6. Kent State (11.0)

7. Northern Illinois (8.0)

8. Eastern Michigan (2.0)

9. Buffalo (1.0)

2015-16 MAC Weight Class Rankings:

125 – 1. Dylan Peters (Northern Iowa, Junior); 2. Brandon Jeske (Old Dominion, Junior); 3. Brent Fleetwood (Central Michigan, Sophomore); 4. Barlow McGhee (Missouri, Sophomore).

133 – 1. Zach Synon (Missouri, Junior); 2. Mack McGuire (Kent State, Senior); 3. Corey Keener (Central Michigan, Junior); 4. Josh Alber (Northern Iowa, Redshirt Freshman).

141 – 1. Chris Mecate (Old Dominion, Senior); 2. Zach Horan (Central Michigan, Senior); 3. Steve Bleise (Northern Illinois, Redshirt Freshman); 4. Noah Forrider (Ohio, Sophomore).

149 – 1. Alexander Richardson (Old Dominion, Senior); 2. Lavion Mayes (Missouri, Junior); 3. Mike DePalma (Kent State, Senior); 4. Colin Heffernan (Central Michigan, Sophomore).

157 – 1. Ian Miller (Kent State, Senior); t-2. Lucas Smith (Central Michigan, Senior); t-2. Spartak Chino (Ohio, Senior); 4. Andrew Morse (Northern Illinois, Senior).

165 – 1. Cooper Moore (Northern Iowa, Junior); 2. Shaun’Qae McMurtry (Northern Illinois, Junior); 3. Daniel Lewis (Missouri, Redshirt Freshman); 4. Jordan Wohlfert (Central Michigan, Junior).

174 – 1. Cody Walters (Ohio, Senior); 2. Blaise Butler (Missouri, Senior); 3. Mike Ottinger (Central Michigan, Senior); 4. Trace Engelkes (Northern Illinois, Junior).

184 – 1. Jack Dechow (Old Dominion, Junior); 2. Willie Miklus (Missouri, Sophomore); 3. Andrew Romanchik (Ohio, Senior); 4. Austin Severn (Central Michigan, Junior).

197 – 1. J’Den Cox (Missouri, Junior); 2. Phil Wellington (Ohio, Senior); 3. Anthony Abro (Eastern Michigan, Senior); 4. Shawn Scott (Northern Illinois, Junior).

HWT – 1. Blaize Cabell (Northern Iowa, Senior); 2. Jesse Webb (Ohio, Sophomore); 3. Mimmo Lytle (Kent State, Junior); 4. Jake Gunning (Buffalo, Redshirt Freshman).

--MIZZOU--

Andrew Melroe

Mizzou Athletics

Strategic Communications Associate

Wrestling / Women’s Tennis / Secondary Men’s Basketball

C: 651-343-3272

O: 573-882-7167

melroea@missouri.edu

@AndrewMelroe